Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Cast Iron Skillet

 


Watch the video here.




This week I have a fun project that I came up with yesterday morning as I was putting my dishes away, I was putting my extremely heavy very old cast iron skillet back in the cabinet and I decided I needed to make a mini one for the dollhouse kitchen. I decided to make it right away since I am still trying to work out the final part of the other project I have been trying to figure out for you guys (I'll give you a small hint that that one is an appliance to go in the kitchen)


So I considered a couple of different approaches to this project and decided the most obvious choice (polymer clay) was the best choice. As a benefit it only takes one color of clay (black) and really any brand will work for this I do recommend using a firm brand over a soft one simply because although it will be harder to get started I think it in the long run it will work better.


Once I measured my own skillet I started looking for something to use as a form to build the skillet on. I decided to use one of the plastic disposable shot glasses that I picked up at Dollar Tree. I almost always have a bunch of these on hand because they are so useful on the craft table.


I rolled the clay out to a consistent thickness, I used a couple of craft sticks to help me. Then I placed a circle cut from parchment paper over the bottom of the glass to go between the plastic glass bottom and the clay. This step is essential, trust me. Then I smoothed the clay over the bottom and up the sides a ways. I used a strip of paper cut ¼” wide to guide me in cutting/leveling the top edge of the skillet. 

 

 


Once I was happy with how I had the top cut I moved the glass with the clay into the freezer for 15 minutes to firm the clay up. This way I could carefully work the skillet off the plastic form without messing up the shape too much.



Then it was time to bake the first stage of the skillet at the temperature your clay package directs for 10 minutes.


Once baked and cooled I used some sandpaper to even up the top edge of the skillet.



I then added a handle to the baked clay with some TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) acting as the glue. Really smooth the edges of the handle into the baked skillet. Then bake again for another 10 minutes at the time directed on the clay package.




Once baked and cooled again I used an emery board to remove a few bumps and lumps and got the outside of the skillet looking the way I wanted it.


Now it was time to paint just the outside with some black craft paint. I like the slight sheen my clay baked to for the inside of the skillet, but I want the outside to be a completely mat black. 




Once dry it is ready for the doll family to use in their new kitchen.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment