Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Stone Cottage Cookie Jar

 


Watch the video here.

 

 




I decided to make another cookie jar this week for the dollhouse kitchen. I am kind of envisioning a collection of cookie jars that can be displayed in the dollhouse kitchen. I will probably stage them on top of the top run of kitchen cabinets. The more I think about the idea the more ideas I have for themes.


If you are wondering why we still aren't working on the Beachside Bungalow kitchen be sure to check out the dedicated blog post about that (you can find it here)


Once again I am using a wooden form to wrap some heavy white card stock around to form the interior of my cookie jar. I love the neat finish this gives the finished cookie jar.


This week since I wanted this cookie jar to be either rectangular or square I dug through my stash of wooden bits and bobs and came up with one of the Tumbling Tower Block game pieces from Dollar Tree. It measures ⅜” by ⅝”. If you don't have any of these little pieces just pick something of similar size. The paper strip was cut ¾” by just a bit longer than 4”. It was then wrapped and glued around the wood piece ans slid off to dry.


Once the glue is dry add a base layer of white clay. I used some Original Sculpey for white clay this week. Very little of this layer will show when we are finished so what clay you use won't really matter. Be sure to use a layer of TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) as a “glue” between the paper layer and the clay. Also between all areas as we add fresh clay to the project.


I also formed the little base for the lid but cutting a slap of clay the same size as the end of the wood piece I used to form the cookie jar around.


Bake these pieces for 10 minutes at 250°F (up to 275°F) and allow to cool.


Next I added the front door to my cottage with some red clay and some windows with some blue. These are added again with TLS and baked as above.


While this baking was going on I gathered some grey clay (Sculpey II in Elephant), some brown clay (Sculpey III in Hazelnut), a tiny bit of black, and some of the Original Sculpey.


I used these clays to mix colors for my stones to cover the cottage. I then make snakes, cut these snakes into small pieces and rolled a lot of really small balls of clay in the various “stone” colors. You are going to need a lot of these little balls to cover the outside of your cottage.


Working in small areas add some TLS to the surface of the baked cookie jar and add the tiny balls to cover. Bake often at 250°F (up to 275°F) for 10 minutes. Trying to work on too large an area at one time will be very messy.


I did start by going around the door and windows. Do note that I wish I had left a larger area open for the windows, and maybe should have lined the window area with some plain snakes of clay to make them stand out a bit better.










Once the entire outside of the cookie jar is covered with stone it is time to create the lid which is the roof to our cottage. For this add some Fimo Yellow Ocher clay to the small slab you made earlier. Cutting to fit the contours of the cookie jar at least somewhat, and using TLS to make sure it sticks. Bake as before.


Next add some TLS to the top of the lid and using more of the yellow clay form the basic shape of the roof. Cutting off excess clay and molding until it is the shape you like. I found it best to work with the lid both on and off the cookie jar to be sure the roof was fitting the way I wanted. Once you are happy with the roof add some texture using a pointy tool. Then bake once again at 250°F (up to 275°F) for 15 minutes.



Once the clay cooled again I added a thin wash of a brown paint to the roof then wiped it away leaving just a hint in the texture lines of the roof. This will help the lines you etched in to show up a lot more.





Once cooled apply a thin coat of Gloss Mod Podge and once completely dry your cookie jar is ready to display in the dollhouse.









As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment