Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Apple Cookie Jar

 



Watch the video here.







We start the cookie jar like pretty much all the others we have made, with a card-stock core or base. This is made from a strip of white card-stock that is ¾” by 4” and is rolled around a Sharpie type marker and glued to form a tube. This allows us to have a sturdy base to build our cookie jar on and it also gives the inside of the cookie jar a nice finished appearance.



I do highly recommend using a thick tacky glue for this step and then allowing the glue to dry really well (overnight is probably best) This way the glue will not let go in the oven. At least that is what has worked best for me on these. The only time this method didn’t work for me was when I tried to rush and didn’t give the glue enough time to dry completely.


Once the glue on the card-stock base has dried we need to add a very thin layer of white polymer clay. This will give us a nice base to build our cookie jar on. For this I used Liquid Sculpey in White. I would much rather of used TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) but I am almost out and couldn’t get any the last time I shopped. I am trying the white version out today for the first time.



Once you have the outside of the base covered including a bottom added bake for 10 minutes at the temperature recommended on your clay. We also need to make a small disk of clay that will fit inside the top of the cookie jar to form the lid on. Bake your pieces for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature before moving to the next step.


Now we are going to start making this cookie jar look like an apple. I wanted a stem to act as a handle on the lid and I wanted mine to be brown. I simply grabbed some brown clay from my scrap clay bag to use for this. You could use any color you wish for this step. Simply make a small snake and cut a small piece to act as the hand handle. We are making this now so it can be baked and ready for us when we are ready to use it.



It is also time to add a layer of red clay to the cookie jar. Any red will do for this I used Sculpey III in Red Hot Red. I find it does behave well for most projects and stays fairly close to its raw color when baked. To add this layer we will once again need to use the liquid clay. After I added the red layer I found the layer to be just too soft to be able to get it to cooperate so I put it in the freezer for 15 minutes to help solidify it and make I much easier to work with. Once I was happy with the start of the shape I had I added a thin layer of red clay to the outside to both help cover the white liquid clay and to also help be refine the shape a bit better. Once you are happy with the shape bake your cookie jar at the recommended temperature for your clay for 15 minutes to make sure it is cured all the way through.


At this point I used a piece of 80 grit sandpaper to sand the top edge of the cookie jar smooth. I was certain I had turned on the camera but when I went to edit that clip was missing. Sorry. Anyway all I did was lay my piece of sandpaper flat on my work surface and carefully moved the cookie jar over it until the edge was just how I wanted it. We will do the same thing with the lid too.


Once this is done use something to protect the top of your cookie jar and using some more of the red clay form a half ball to fit the top for a lid. I used a scrap of parchment paper to do this. You can form it to the shape of your apple this way and with the protective layer will keep stains from being transferred to the top edge, it will also keep the two layers from sticking together. Without the protective layer you are apt to misshape your lid removing it to bake it.



Once formed use a tool to make a dip in the top where the stem will be placed. Work on the shape so the top edge has a nice curve. Then dip the stem end into whatever liquid clay you are using and place it in place. Bake this at recommended temperature for 15 minutes and allow to cool.


Once cooled you can use the sandpaper to flatten the bottom of the lid to make it nice and flat.



Now I used some green clay to make 2 very simple leaves to add to the top of the lid. Use just a touch of the liquid clay to stick them and bake again for 10 minutes (you just need to cure the leaves and the little bit of liquid clay this time)



Now we need to cradle the lid upside down so it will remain sitting flat for the next step. I use a bit of foil made into a ring. If the lid doesn’t sit flat for this next step your little white piece we made in the first step could slide off center. Add a dot of liquid clay to the bottom of the lid and being careful to center it add the little disk of clay we made at the beginning of the process. This little bit of clay will help the lid of your cookie jar stay in place while it is displayed rather than sliding off with every little bump.


Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.



 

 

Now we can touch up that white area left from our liquid clay. I simply used a small brush and painted on some brown craft-paint to cover it.


 

 


Now a very thin coat of Mod Podge or other sealer will make you cookie jar look like a ceramic cookie jar rather than a blob of clay. I used Satin this time because I felt a little less shine on this one would look nice.


There you have it another addition to the cookie jar collection.


As always I want to thank plaid for the brushes and Mod Podge used in this video..








As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment