Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, July 2, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Omelet

 



Watch the video here.





This week for the Saturday tutorial I decided to make an omelet. You could fill your omelet with whatever you wish, I made mine a ham and cheese one today.



Like with a real omelet we start with the eggs. For the egg portion I mixed some of my pre-mixed white/translucent clay (1:2) with an equal amount of Cadmium Yellow clay from Premo. You don’t need to have the exact yellow I used after all egg yolks do vary in color so omelets are not all the same color.


 


 

 

Mix the clay fairly well, a few streaks of white or yellow is fine in this since sometimes omelets have a few streaks too.


 

 


 

 

Once you have your clay mixed roll a ball of clay that is about ¼” in diameter for each omelet you wish to make.


 

 


 

 Use your fingertip to flatten the ball of clay. I like to have my clay on a piece of parchment paper for these steps so that it will be much easier to transfer the omelet to my baking plate and the parchment will also not stick to the TLS we will be using later.



 

Now use some tools to texture the top of it. I started with a medium size ball tool. This was used to mostly thin out the edge of the omelet. I like to also use this tool at bit all over the top of the clay so that the edge won’t be as harsh later.



 

 

Then use some crunched up aluminum foil to add some texture to entire surface of the clay. Be sure to blend out the texture from the ball tool.


 


 

 

Now lastly use a dish scrubber to soften the texture over the surface..


 

 

 


 

 

Once you are happy with the top carefully flip it over so the textured side is down.



 

 


 

 

Now use the ball tool to just texture the very edge all the way around. This will make the edge of the omelet more in scale when we are finished.


 

 


 

I next made my cheese sauce. For this I used some TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) colored with some oil paints. The paint colors I used were Vermilion Red, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ocher, and Titanium White. 

 

 


 

Mix the oil paints together first to get the color you want then add just a tiny bit to some TLS and mix it well. This will give you a very nice sauce/melted cheese for the omelet. It will also help to hold in any other fillings you add.


 

 


I also added some ham to my omelet. For the ham I pulled out some of the cane I had made back when we were prepping to make the meat and cheese tray. The video where I made this ham mixture is here. You don’t need much of the ham, and what you do use should be chopped up pretty fine.


 


 

 

Now just spread some of the “cheese” onto half of the omelet. 

 

 

 


 

Then sprinkle in some of the ham pieces. Concentrate the ham bits around the edge they will be seen once the omelet is folded.


 

 


 

Once you are happy with the amount of filling in your omelet fold it in half like a real one. I find if I start the fold with a toothpick laying on the surface of the omelet where I want the fold to be it is much easier to get it to fold nicely. Make any adjustments to how your omelet looks.


 

 

To make the omelets looked like they have been cooked we are going to add 2 colors of artist chalk, a light yellow ocher and an orangery reddish brown.


 

 


 

I used my normal eye shadow brush to apply the yellow ocher color over the top of the omelet. Try to not give a really even coat, leave some spaces where the clay shows with no chalk covering it.


 


 

 Now using a very small brush and apply the reddish brown color in just a few spots.


This will make the omelet look cooked.


 

Now bake at the recommended temperature for your clay for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.


 

For a garnish I used some of the tissue paper we painted in the salad tutorial (you can find that video here) and cut some very tiny pieces. These need to be really tiny. Since mine are kind of long and skinny I think they are either chives or green onions. If they were cut a bit more square of rounded they would be something like parsley.



 

Now use your fingertip to wipe on a very tiny bit of Mat Mod Podge to just the top of the omelet. Allow it to sit just a moment until it gets a bit tacky. 

 

 

 

 


 

Then add your garnish where you want it. I used my piece of raw spaghetti to do this precise placement.


 

 

 

Now you just need to let this dry and your omelet is ready to plate up and serve. We will be plating and adding a side dish next Saturday.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



1 comment: