Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Home Fried Potatoes

 

Watch the video here.

 

 


 


I have to say this project has proved to be the most difficult to get a good picture of. I really struggled to get a picture that shows how these potatoes really look.


I know these potatoes go by different names depending on where you live. I most often call them Home Fries or Home Fried Potatoes. But my dad would have just called them fried potatoes or some times he would have referred to them just as hash browns. It doesn’t matter what you call them I think the dolls in the dollhouse are going to love having some along side the omelets we made last week.



For the potatoes we are just using a firm white clay. I used some Premo but Fimo would be good also. I would stay away from the softer brands since you want the cane of clay to keep at least some of the round shape on the edges so the chunks resemble the real thing.




To start just make a snake of clay, mine was a bit bigger than ¼” in diameter and not perfectly round. Then stick it in the freezer for 20 minutes. This will firm up the clay and allow you to cut it and still hold its shape. Once I cut my snake of clay into long strips I did put all but the one I was cutting up back into the freezer so that it would stay nice and firm while I cut it.



 

 

Cut the strips into as small of bits as you can/ I left my pieces a bit larger so you could see what I was doing on the video.


 

 


Once you have the pieces cut up sprinkle the bits with some yellow ocher chalk and use a brush to apply the chalk on most of the bits. Don’t go for a complete even coverage. You want some areas to be white and some to be warmed up with the chalk. This will make the potatoes look more realistic.


 

 



Now take a reddish brown chalk and sprinkle a bit over the top of the potato pieces. Then use a spray bottle to mist everything with just a bit of water. You want the chalk more damp than wet. Then just stir everything around with the handle of a paint brush. You want a lot less of this color than of the yellow. Remember you just want hints of the brown color.


If you want to add some onions to your potatoes just use some translucent clay and add to the plate before you add the chalk. For some peppers add some green or red clay and proceed with the chalk and finish the same way I did in the video.


Now bake at the temperature recommended for your clay for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.



Next I used some Satin Mod Podge to both give my potatoes a “fried” appearance and to adhere them to the plate along with the omelet from last week. Add a blob of Mod Podge to your work surface and stir the potato chunks into it. Then add another blog to whatever plate/bowl/pan you are going to display yours in and add the bits of potato as you want.



Once the Mod Podge is mostly dry I used a tiny bit of a dark brown paint and a toothpick to just highlight the edges of some of the potato chunks to look like they were maybe cooked a bit more again like the real thing. I do prefer a thick paint from a tube for this step over a bottled craft-paint since it is easier to control for this.


Once everything is dry your dolls can sit down to a hearty breakfast.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment