Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Potato Salad & Macaroni Salad

 


Watch the video here.




This week for the Saturday tutorial I decided to make on of my favorite summer side dishes, potato salad. And I figured since Macaroni Salad is basically the same with just an adjustment of the shape of the clay for the main component I might as well do both in the same tutorial.


I made the salads to reflect how I make mine in real life, if you have other favorite components in your real version I am sure you can add them into your mini version.



So to begin we need to create some “warm” white clay. To do this I simply added a touch of yellow ocher clay to the white. The difference in color is very subtle but makes a big difference in the finished dish.







 

 

Now for the potatoes just roll out the clay to a thin slab and cut tiny bits for the diced potatoes.


 

 

 


 

 

For the macaroni roll a thin snake and cut tiny pieces. 

 

 

 


 

 

Then use either a toothpick or another “pointy” tool to add the curve to each piece. 

 

 

 

 


 

 

I did find this was easiest to do in the palm of my hand.


 

 

 


Now pick some other colors to represent the other stuff you add to your salad. I used some green (green pepper?). Red (tomato or red pepper) a bit of yellow and some black(olives) and just dice these colors up really finely. This would be a great time to raid your scrap clay bag for little bits of clay that is leftover from other projects.


At this time I also added a bit of the main color clay to the bottom of my serving dishes. This will act as a filler so we don’t need to make so much of the little tiny bits to fill the bowls. I like to add texture to the top of this so it will blend in with our salad in the finished salads. Be sure to use some TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) to act as a glue for this bit.


Now bake for a full 10 minutes at the temperature recommended on your clay package. And allow to cool to room temperature.



Now to bind our salad together I am using a mixture of craft paint (white with just a bit of yellow) mixed with some Mat Mod Podge. I find this works much better than just paint that I have seen in some directions for mini potato salad.


Mix the paint to the desired color then add the Mod Podge.



 

Then just stir in the ingredients for your salad and transfer to the prepped bowl spread it around to cover the top as well as you can. I like to add a few bits of the ingredients to the top and nestle them down into the sauce in a few places. Allow to dry.


 

 



 

 

Now I added a very thin coat of Gloss Mod Podge to just the bowls and allowed to dry.


 

 

 


 

To finish I dabbed on a bit of the Mat Mod Podge to the top of the salads and sprinkled on some red artist chalk to represent the paprika that a lot of us sprinkle over our salads in real life.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment