Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Dollhouse Miniature Cheese

 


Watch the video here.

 

 




I have wanted to make a Charcuterie board on this channel for a couple of months. First off I love how they look, some of them are just beautiful. Also I love eating this type of thing so it just seemed like the correct fit. I will be doing the foods for the board over several videos, at this point I am not sure how many videos this will take. We will just have to see how it goes. This week we are starting with a nice array of cheeses. I love almost all of them turned out, if I were doing it over I would make the wax wrapped cheese slightly smaller but it is alright. It is in scale but it is just so much larger than the other cheeses that it takes the spotlight more than I want it to. I will probably just cut it down more when I put the display together to compensate and make it play nicer with the other items.


We are using one base clay mix in all the types of cheese and then coloring it as needed for each one. That mixture is 1 part white polymer clay mixed with 3 parts translucent polymer clay.


We started with some cheddar cheeses, or they can be your favorite cheese of that same color/size. I sized these to recreate the ones you get in the store that are in the smaller bars/blocks that are sized to fit crackers. I am sure you know what I mean.


The white cheddar/jack/whatever other cheese you want it to be- mix the base color clay with just a tiny bit of yellow ochre Fimo. This needs to be well blended to result in an even color. The ochre will warm up the color and make it look nice and creamy.


Roll this out to ⅛” thick and cut into an ⅛” strip. Set this aside to place in the freezer.


Next take some of the clay leftover from the last step (save some for the next cheese type) and mix in just a tiny bit of orange and a tiny bit of yellow polymer clay. Add this colors in very slowly to reach the color you want. It is best to have some real cheese to match to.


Roll this mixture out and cut into ⅛” by ⅛” strips also.


Place these clay pieces into the freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up. Then cut some very thin slices as well as some little blocks to display later. I ended up putting mine in the freezer multiple times before I was finished.




Now with the rest of the clay we saved to make one of those wax wrapped cheeses, it can be either an Edam or a Gouda depending on how your ball of clay is formed (round or slightly flattened) for the wax coating mix equal parts of Fimo Carmine with Fimo Red and roll very thin.




For the cheese color into a small log and wrap the wax color around it. Roll to the desired size, close one end cut to size and close the other end.


Freeze the cheese ball for about 10 minutes then cut out some wedges.




Next up we need to take the rest of our base color we made in the beginning and add just a bit of Fimo Champagne and a smaller amount of yellow clay. Mix this well to make a buttery, creamy mixture. Take some and make a ball then flatten the ball to make a rounded disk shaped wheel of brie. Texture the exterior of the wheel of brie with some sandpaper. Cut out a some wedges of the cheese. If you would like to have either a baked brie or a really gooey one take a bit of the cheese color and mix it with a bit of TLS and apply to the cut area (be sure to place it on a nonstick surface like parchment paper to bake)


Now onto out last cheese, a blue cheese. For this make some very thin snakes of a dark green and a blue clay then roll these together to make a kind of mottled thin snake of both colors. Add this to the cheese clay as in the video and form into the block of cheese. Texture the outside again with sandpaper and cut some wedges.


Now bake all the cheeses on a paper plate for 10 minutes at 250°F to 275°F to cure the clay. Be sure to watch your oven so it doesn't heat up higher than the recommended 275°F during baking.


Once the cheeses are baked and cooled paint just the rind of the brie with some white craft paint. When this is dry paint just the cheese portion of the brie with some mat Mod Podge.






There you have it a nice selection of cheeses for the dolls in the dollhouse to snack on over the holidays and beyond.










As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment