Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Dollhouse Miniature Slow Cooker

 


Watch the video here.

 

 



This week for our Sunday tutorial we are making a slow cooker. I use my real one all the time and frankly for me no kitchen is complete without one. So it is only natural to make a mini on for the dollhouse.


While my real one is pretty plain and boring I decided to make a pretty one for the kitchen of the Beachside Bungalow. With all the blue and white I am using in the dollhouse I knew that I would find the perfect piece of paper in my stash. I had this pad of 6” by 6” card-stock sitting in a drawer for years and it is perfect for this. It has a small pattern that lends itself to this project perfectly.


No matter what the color scheme or theme of your dollhouse I know you will find a card-stock that will go with it. I have to admit I was a bit tempted to use some of the small floral design papers but I didn't think it would go as well in this house. Maybe I will make some more in the future.


For the main body of the slow cooker you will need a strip of solid color card-stock that measures ⅝” by 11”. The piece of decorative paper is ⅝” by the 6” that this paper measured. The decorative layer is optional.


You will also need a ¾” dowel to form the slow cooker body over, be sure to wrap it in some non-stick parchment paper.


Pre-curl the paper strips with a blade of your scissors (like you would curl curling ribbon) then wrap the strips around your dowel. This process allows the paper to wrap much tighter with as much of a chance of creasing. I like to measure how much paper will be on the inside of the first wrap so that I don't add glue to that area. Then apply a thick glue to the rest of the inside of the plain strip and to the inside of your decorative strip (if you are using one). I used a nice thick tacky glue for this applied with a brush. A glue stick or some of the paste type glue we used for the wallpaper of the dollhouse would work also. As much as I love Mod Podge I don't like it for this application because it is so much thinner and more apt to cause buckling.


Wrap your strips around the dowel starting with the plain colored one. Line the decorative one up right where the first one left off to avoid lumps in the final piece. Keep the strips as tight and as straight as possible.


Set this aside to dry.


Once dry remove it from the dowel and make the lid to the slow cooker. For this use a thick soft wire. The one I used is from Dollar Tree in their floral section. Wrap the wire around the same dowel and cut so the ends just meet.


Then for the solid part of the lid use either some plastic from packaging or a sheet of acetate. I used some E6000 to glue the wire in place. Allow to dry.


For the bottom of the slow cooker simply glue the main body part we just made to a small piece of the same plain color card-stock we cut the strip from. No need to cut it out yet just glue the main part of the slow cooker to the piece of card-stock and allow the glue to dry.





Once both the lid and the base are dry use a pair of small scissors to trim the excess off.


Now we can add some details.


For the feet and the handle of the lid I used some of these seed beads I got at Walmart years ago.

 

 

 I picked white because I felt it went best with my slow cooker colors. You can use whatever color you feel goes best.


I used E6000 again to glue the beads on since they are made of plastic.





Once fairly dry you can glue your lid in place with more E6000.







As for more details I added a knob to front using a ¼” paper punched circle and another of the same beads. And for handles I painted and cut a toothpick to size and glued to the sides. You can use you imagination and add more or less details.





I like to add an electric cord to my appliances by taking 2 strands of embroidery floss that I have coated in glue. Add a tiny bead “plug” 

 

 

 



Then split the strands and paint silver.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then trim to add the prongs that go into the outlet.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 Cut to the desired size and glue in place on the bottom of the slow cooker.







There you have it the doll family is all ready to have some wonderful dinners from their slow cooker all winter long.


If you wanted to you could add some “food” to the slow cooker before gluing on the lid also.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment