Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, December 26, 2021

Dollhouse Miniature Thermos

 

Watch the video here.

 

 



This week for the Sunday tutorial I thought it would be fun to make a thermos for the dollhouse family. I actually got the idea while I was looking out my window at the snow in the parking lot. There was a guy on a tractor out there that had just gotten done clearing the snow and he was taking a break. As I looked out he reached under the seat of his tractor and got out his thermos of coffee (at least I assume that is what it was) to take a short break before he moved on to the next parking lot on the street.


I started thinking about ways to make this but didn't come up with a really good idea until the middle of the night when I woke up with the idea we have here. So that is why we are making this today. I hope you enjoy the project.


This is really a simple project and is made entirely out of paper. I did size the paper strips for the particular pencil and wooden skewer I had on hand. (both are from Dollar Tree I think) Use what you have on hand, there is a possibility you might need to make small adjustments in the paper sizes but it should be close.




The paper strips are cut as follows:


from solid color paper cut- 1 @ 2” by ⅞ “

1 @ 2” by ¾”

1 @ 4” by ¼”

1@ 2” by > ⅛” (the narrower the better)

a couple of small scraps of the same paper


From a paper with a small design cut-   1 @ 2” by ¾”



Pre-roll the paper pieces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then coat the back of the 2” by ⅞ “ piece with glue and tightly wrap around the skewer. Add the solid color 2” by ¾” piece gluing it tightly around and lining up one edge. This is the base of the body of the thermos. Let it set while we work on the cup. You might need to wrap this tightly with a rubber band for a few minutes until it stays in place.





Glue and wrap the 4” by ¼” piece around the pencil being careful to keep the edges straight and the wrap tight. Slip this off the pencil and allow to dry.






Now add the patterned paper strip to the main body piece. Again gluing and wrapping tightly and keeping the edge straight. Slip this off the skewer and allow to dry.




Now add some glue to the bottom of the main body piece and place it on one of the scraps of the paper. Add some glue to the other scrap and place the cup piece on it. The cup needs a good pool of glue inside the bottom of the cup to keep it held long term. Allow to dry.


Carefully using a pair of small, sharp scissors cut away the extra scrap paper from around the pieces.


Add the really narrow piece of solid color paper as a trim strip at the very bottom of the thermos body. This will cover up the seam where the bottom is attached and hide any crooked edge at the bottom. Cut this piece just to size with no overlap.


Once all the glue is dry give both pieces a good coat of Satin Mod Podge and allow to dry at least overnight.





Now you have a thermos with a lid that can be put in place or removed depending on how you want to display it. I would suggest leaving the lid off if you are going to store this for any amount of time so it doesn't stick.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment