Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Valentine Teapot

 


Watch the video here.




For today’s tutorial I decided to make a Valentine themed teapot. The one I came up could actually be out all year round in the right kitchen though since it is just red with white dots. While I was looking for inspiration for today’s project I kept running into red teapots with simple white dots. They really got my attention and I found myself really drawn to them. So that is why this was the choice for today.


The first task was to pick a red color. I had hoped to not have to pain the red part but in the end I did need to. However, since I started with a red clay in the color I wanted I was able to just do a light coat of a matching red. More about that part later. I dug through my clay stash and although I did have a bit of a red that I loved I was afraid there wasn’t enough of it. Then I looked at the Red Hot Red from Sculpey III. I have plenty of it but wanted a cooler red and Red Hot Red has a definite orange hue to it. I did have a good amount of Pearl Red (also by Sculpey III) but I was not looking to do this in a pearl finish. I decided to mix equal parts of the two colors and I do love the color I came up with. I have a lot left over too so that went into a labeled bag in with my other reds.


I wanted the bottom of the teapot to have what looked like a base on it. So I had thought about just squishing a ball of clay to make it but ten I decided to use my drill gauge to make the resulting disk of clay look a little neater. I think it was the perfect way to form this but if you don’t have a drill gauge just squishing the ball of clay will work too. This was then baked at the temperature recommended for my clay for 10 minutes. This step will set the shape and size so that it will not get messed up in later steps. Allow to cool to room temperature.



 

 

Now for the main part of the teapot, I used a ½” ball of clay and a drop of liquid Sculpey to attach it to the top of the disk shape. 

 

 


 

 

This was then baked for 20 minutes since the ball is on the bigger size. I did want the clay to cure all the way to the middle of the ball. Allow to cool again.


 

 

 


 

 

Now I wanted to add some shape to the top of the teapot. I used some more liquid clay to attach a small ball of clay to the top of the teapot then I shaped ti to achieve the look I was after. Really work with the edges of the clay where it meets the cured clay to smooth it as much as possible. Make sure the very top is nice and flat. Once you are happy with the shape bake again for another 10 minutes and allow to cool.



 

 

Next I added another small, flattened ball of clay to the top with liquid clay to form the lid of the teapot and a tiny ball for the handle on the lid. I did end up having to add a drop of liquid clay to keep the handle on the top. Bake and cool as above.


 

 


 

 

Now for the spout, make a ball of clay and then make it into a cone shape. Then using liquid clay attach to the front of the teapot. Shape as desired and make a “hole” in the spout for tea to come out, when you are happy bake and cool again.


 


 

 

Now use a thin shake of clay to form the handle and attach with more liquid clay. Bake and cool.


 

 

 

 


 

 

At this point I decided to give my teapot a very light coat of a red craft paint since there were some areas where the liquid clay I used could be seen. Just one thing coat evened everything out.


 

 

 


 

 

 

Now for the optional step of a coat of Mat Mod Podge. This will seal the surface (either the clay or the paint) before we start adding the white dots. This way if a dot is placed in a spot you don’t like you can easily wipe it away. Without sealing the white paint could cause a stain that would have to be painted over.



Once the Mod Podge was dry I used a couple of small dotting tools to add some random white dots with craft paint. I only placed them on the main body of the teapot avoiding the base, handle, lid, and spout. I find it easier to work on one side at a time and give it plenty of drying time before trying to work on the second side. Allow to dry completely before going on to the next step.


Once the white dots are dry add a thin, even coat of Satin Mod Podge to the entire teapot and allow to dry completely.


And there you have a fun teapot for the dollhouse kitchen.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment