Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Chocolate Covered Strawberries

 


Watch the video here.




This week for our Saturday food related tutorial we are making some chocolate covered strawberries. Since Valentine’s Day is coming up next month I thought these would be a fun project and also we are going to need some of them for next Saturday’s project. So be sure to make enough to have at least 4 or 5 for that.


The basic strawberry I am using is just a simplified version of the ones I made way back when I was making the farm stand. You can find that tutorial here. Since these are going to be mostly covered I am skipping the texturing of the berry and I used different colors of clay since I didn’t have the same colors on hand that I had used back then.


 

To begin make a snake of your red clay (I’m using Pomegranate by Premo) that is about 1/8” in diameter. Then cut into segments that about 1/8” long. You don’t need to be exact just in the ball park on these. Cut one piece for each strawberry you want to make.


 

 


 

 

Now roll the pieces into balls.


 

 

 


Then shape them into teardrop shapes. I start by using a finger tip on the edge of the ball. Then I slip it onto my pointy tool and refine the shape a bit more. You will need that hole in the top so don’t skip this step. Now bake at the temperature recommended for your clay for 10 minutes and allow to coll to room temperature.


While the clay is cooling go ahead and mix up a small amount of liquid clay with just a bit of green oil paint. I didn’t have a green that I loved so I mixed the two greens in my set of paints (emerald green and Viridian green) with a touch of yellow ocher to get a green that wasn’t too bright.


Now is also a good time to get your green clay ready. If you have a nice leaf green color that is perfect. I didn’t see any in my stash so I mixed a couple of greens to get something that was leafy colored.



 

Once the strawberries are cooled add a tiny drop of the green tinted liquid clay to the area where we made the hole in the top.


 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Then add a very tiny bit of the green clay.


 

 


Then using a pointy tool texture that green bit into a bit of a fluffy batch of “leaves” they don’t have to be perfect. Just give the illusion that there are leaves on the top of the strawberries. Now bake again for 10 minutes and cool to room temperature.


 

 


Now we get to mix up some "chocolate” since I am using just a dark “chocolate” for my project that is what I will explain. You can vary the colors to get the type your dolls want. For dark chocolate mix a bit of burnt umber oil paint with a tiny bit of black oil paint. Then mix this into some liquid clay. I highly recommend baking off just a tiny bit of this mixture to test both the final color and to be sure that you haven’t added too much oil paint. The color will shift a bit while it bakes and too much paint will cause the liquid clay to not cure correctly. When the test bit is cooled you will be able to see if it cured or not.



 

Now let’s coat those berries in chocolate. First on a piece of parchment paper place a dot of your chocolate mixture for each berry. I find a dotting tool works really well for this. Then place the berries carefully onto those dots. Then bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.


 

 


 

Now using a small tool, again I used a tiny dotting tool “paint’ the chocolate onto the strawberries leaving the tops clear. When you are happy bake for a final 10 minutes.


 

 

 

Now you are ready to display your chocolate dipped strawberries in you next mini scene.



As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

2 comments: