Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Santa’s Hat Cookie Jar

 



Watch the video here.




I want to preface this post by saying that yes, this cookie jar is a bit larger than I normally make. I did that because I was watching something the other night and in the background of a scene of a kitchen there was a larger than normal cookie jar. I loved how it took center stage in the background and looked so important. If you want to keep yours smaller just use thinner layers of clay in building the hat shape.




We start the cookie jar like pretty much all the others we have made, with a card-stock core or base. This is made from a strip of white card-stock that is ¾” by 4” and is rolled around a Sharpie type marker and glued to form a tube. This allows us to have a sturdy base to build our cookie jar on and it also gives the inside of the cookie jar a nice finished appearance.



I do highly recommend using a thick tacky glue for this step and then allowing the glue to dry really well (overnight is probably best) This way the glue will not let go in the oven. At least that is what has worked best for me on these. The only time this method didn’t work for me was when I tried to rush and didn’t give the glue enough time to dry completely.



Once the glue on the card-stock base has dried we need to add a very thin layer of white polymer clay. This will give us a nice base to build our cookie jar on. For this I used Liquid Sculpey in White. I would much rather of used TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) but I am almost out and couldn’t get any the last time I shopped.


Once you have the outside of the base covered including a bottom added bake for 10 minutes at the temperature recommended on your clay. We also need to make a small disk of clay that will fit inside the top of the cookie jar to form the lid on. Bake your pieces for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature before moving to the next step.



Now the fun part we turn this base piece into Santa’s hat. Start by building out the bottom of the jar with a thin snake of red clay. Use some liquid clay to attach it. Once you are happy with this step you will want to bake it for 10 minutes to set everything in place.


 

 


Now add a bit more red clay to even out the shape then cover with a thin sheet of clay again using some liquid clay as a glue. Smooth this out to look like a nice hat, remember the real hat would have a few folds but you don’t want it look like Santa forgot to iron his outfit.


Since I normally use a bit of cornstarch on my fingers when smoothing out my clay and that would not work with this red clay I used my other favorite method. I simply used a bit of Rubbing Alcohol to wet my finger tips and then I could easily smooth the clay out with no problems. The big draw back with this method is it is sooo messy. That is why I use the cornstarch when possible. Bake the cookie jar for another 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.


Now is the time get the top (and bottom if needed) of the cookie jar evened out. For this just rub it on a piece of sandpaper to smooth both surfaces.



Now we can create the lid of the cookie jar, this is going to be a multiple step process. Start by making a small flat disk of red clay that will sit nicely on top of the cookie jar opening. Once you are happy with the size and shape use some more liquid clay to attach that white clay disk we made earlier and bake for 10 minutes.



 

Now we can build up the point of the hat on the part we just made it is up to you if Santa’s hat stands up straight or if it folds to one side. Smooth it just like for the hat and when you are happy bake it for 10 minutes.


 

 


Now we can add the white fur trim. This is simply a band of white clay at the very bottom of the cookie jar (don’t forget the liquid clay) then texture with a toothbrush. Add a small ball tot he tip of the hat and texture it also. Bake for 10 minutes.


 


 

Once cooled to room temperature add a very thin coat of Satin Mod Podge and allow to dry. Now you cookie jar is ready to display in your dollhouse kitchen or maybe a mini kitchen or Christmas shop.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment