Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Plant Pot

 



Watch the video here.



Today I have a fun plant pot tutorial for you. This one came about because the tutorial that I was planning to do last Sunday was for a plant in a pot. I thought i had a container I could use but when I went to look for it I couldn’t find it. So decided I was going to have to figure something out. It was during this process that I started to feel particularly unwell and decided that I was going to have to skip the tutorial last Sunday. So I decided to that since the plant was going to be a week later that would give me time to make this tutorial today. I had found several versions of the pot that we are making today at various real size retailers. There were several versions but I liked the general look of them and decided to interpret it for mini.


I really liked the pots that had straight sides and in mini they lend themselves to my method of using a card-stock base to build the clay pot onto. So this is a variation of the way we make the cookie jars.



I started with a strip of Kraft color card-stock that measured ¾” by 8 ½”. I then found something round that was about ¾” in diameter, for me that was a glue stick. I pre-rolled the paper around the glue stick marking where the end made a complete time around.

 

 


 

I then applied glue to the back side of the strip and rolled it tightly and carefully around the glue stick. 

 

 

 


 

 

I carefully removed it and set it aside to dry. The trick to using these card-stock cores with the polymer clay is to make sure to use a really thick glue and to allow it to dry completely.


 

 


Once I was sure it was dry I added a bottom to the pot using some Fimo in Caramel color. This was added using some liquid polymer clay as a glue. I baked this for 10 minutes at the temperature recommended for my clay and allowed it to cool to room temperature.


 

 


 

 

Next I covered the outside and tiny bit down the inside of the pot with a layer of the same clay again using the liquid clay to act as a glue.


 

 


Once you have the clay smoothed the way you like it you can add a texture/design. You have many options to do this. I decided to use one of the many embossing folders I have on hand from card making. These can usually be found with the card making stuff at the craft-store.


I really like the way it worked and I have so many of these that I think I might be pulling them out for future clay projects.


Once your design in on the surface of the clay bake for 10 minutes at the temperature recommend for your clay. And allow to cool to room temperature.



Now the messy part I tried a couple of ways to apply the white to the outside of the plant pots and found my finger worked the best. Just dip the tip of your finger into some white paint, blot of most of the paint and then lightly rub the surface of the pot. This allow the paint to only go on the flat areas and let the recessed details free of paint. This is where the magic of this project comes in. I love the look we can get with this.



I did make a few off camera and although I don’t normally show my first attempts when they are really rough I thought for this project since I had used some different ways to texture the pots and one with blue instead of the normal terracotta looking color I wanted you to see those too. For the small blue pot I used a strip of card-stock cut ½” by 4 ½” and formed it around a Sharpie marker barrel.


I love these and I can’t wait to show you the plant to go in the pot on Sunday. See you then.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment