Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, November 6, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Simple Houseplant

 



Watch the video here.



This week I have a really simple plant tutorial. This is the tutorial I had planned for last Sunday but didn’t get to make in time for you to have then.


There are so many ways to make miniature plants and we have done others on the channel before. I love to have a variety of plants in my mini scenes probably because although I love plants I am horrid with them.


My preference for this type of plant is to use masking tape and then paint it to whatever color I want. I know a lot of miniaturists out there use floral tape but I have never had very good luck getting the leaves to look the way I want using it. Also I almost always have masking tape on hand but to use floral tape I would have to go out and remember to buy it in order to use it.


I do prefer to use the stem wire that is already coated in a green color, this is the kind that is painted not the kind that is wrapped in the string. Although that does work for some plants also.


The plant I am making today is a very generic plant. I’m not even sure its would be a real plant. What I want to teach you today is the method so that you cam go and make the plants you want to make. So if you have specific plant you want to make take today’s tutorial and adjust it to fit the plant of your dreams. And be sure to show me pictures of it, I want to see what you made.



The first step is to cut some stems, I used 2 pieces of the 20 ga stem wire that were about 18” long. I cut it into about 3” to 4” lengths. You can make yours the length you need to make the plant you want to make. Remember you can always cut more off later but you won’t be able to add to the length so I like to cut longer than I k now I want and trim later.


Next I used the masking tape to cover one end by folding the tape and sandwiching the wire inside it. I like to run my thumbnail along both sides of the wire on one side of the leaf.



When you have covered enough stems to create your plant cut the tape into a leaf shape. I used just a simple oval leaf in the tutorial today.



Once all the leaf shapes are cut paint the leaves with green craft paint. Depending on what kind of plant you are making the color you use will vary.


I wanted a dark rich green but the only really dark green I had was a bit too blue in color for my taste so I mixed in a bit of a more yellow green to tone down the blue tint.


Once the dark green was dry I added some dry brushing with the same yellow green to highlight the top side of the leaves.


Allow to dry.



Now cut some foam to fit into whatever pot you are using to plant your plant in. I am using the one I made in the Midweek tutorial which you can find here.


Use whatever kind of foam you have, I used some of the floral foam that is meant for artificial flowers. Use plenty of glue and put it into your pot.


Now coat the top of the foam with more glue and add a coating of dried coffee grounds for your “soil” I have tutorial on the channel about how to treat the coffee grounds which can be found here.



 

 

Now add your plant stems to create your plant. Trimming the length of the stems as needed.


 

 

 


 

 

I like to let this glue dry then add another coat of glue and more coffee grounds. Let dry again.


 

 

 

Now just carefully bend/curve your leaves to give your plant the shape you want and you have a nice plant for the dolls to enjoy in any room of the dollhouse.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment