Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, September 18, 2022

Polymer Clay 101 pt 6 Tips for Rolling Clay

 


Watch the video here.





This week for the Clay 101 series I thought I would share a few tips for rolling clay out. This is a short video mainly because I am taking some time off to enjoy my daughter and grandson while they visit me for the week.


So one of the challenges in rolling clay out is to get an even thickness across the entire piece of clay. Once way to make this easier to is have some kind of spacer that you can lay on each side of the clay to set a thickness. In the past I had some pieces of strip-wood that were of various sizes from1/16” up to around ¼” thick. So far since I moved I haven’t found them. So in the meantime I have been using a couple of sets of craft-sticks. 

 



The first thinner set is simply two individual craft-sticks that I can use to stop my clay roller giving me an even thickness.



The second set I simply glued two sets of two craft-sticks together (if you do this use some kind of clamps to make them stick together evenly) so I can quickly roll out thicker slabs of clay.


You can use a lot of things to do this you just need two matching pieces, one for each side of the clay. I know a few clay artists that have glued layers of card-stock together to give them different thicknesses.


In addition to being able to roll out consistent layers of clay you can take this a step further and use it to help you mix your colors of clay. If you are making a project and you need to mix colors of clay and you have the ratios to use simply roll out the different colors to the same thickness and using the same cutting tool cut however many pieces of clay you need to mix. This way you don’t need to eye-ball the quantities of clay when mixing.



As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment