Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Round Halloween Sign

 


Watch the video here.





This week we are making a round Halloween sign, I know I keep seeing these big round signs all over for real size decor so I decided to make this one for the dollhouse for Halloween.


To make this much easier for you to reproduce the sign I am providing a pattern for you to use. You can download a zipped file here that contains a PDF with simple instructions if you want to hand cut your sign and also a PNG that can be used with an electronic cutting machine like a Cricut. There is also a text file to give you the sizing for the PNG in the file.


I am so happy with how this sign turned out and I hope you love it too. I did my best to make it really simple to make so I am sure you can make one easily for your dollhouse.


There well be a lot more projects like this in future too and I would love some feedback as to what you would like to make.



To start we need to cut the pattern piece out of medium weight white card-stock. I almost always use white card-stock for these and paint them the colors I want them to be for many reasons. One I feel the colors stay better (less fading overall when I paint) also you don’t need to go out and purchase a bunch of colors of paper this way a package of white will make a bunch of project. And most of us have craft-paints on hand to use. Also since we are using multiple layers of paper I find the paint helps to hide the fact that the project is made of layers and not a single thicker material. Since it is card-stock it can be easily cut with either scissors or an electronic cutting machine.



No matter how you cut the pieces I do recommend making a mark on the back of each of the bat pieces. Although I did my best to get them symmetrical they are just a bit asymmetrical and it really shows up if you glue them together wrong (sorry about that I am still learning this skill). So a small dot on the back before you mix them up will be very helpful.



 

 

Now glue each set of shapes together so you have three layers in each like these. Allow the glue to dry.


 

 

Now we are going to paint.



 

The ring unit and the bat unit both need to be painted black. Really pay attention that you get all the edges of the bat and the inside of that ring covered completely. Any little white specks will show up on the black later and it is much easier to paint now before we assemble the entire sign.



Now for the fun part, the background sky. Of course you can do yours anyway you wish but I was envisioning this orange to yellow blend and it is so easy to do and looks so cool. I did use some double sided tape to hold my background unit to my work tile. Then I put out a drop of orange and a drop of yellow craft-paint next to each other and using a flat ended brush that is about ¾” wide load the paints together on the brush so that about half the width is orange and the other half yellow. Don’t’ try to mix the paint the blend happens when you stroke the paint.


Now with the orange side of the brush on the edge of the background unit paint across the piece. Then brush the other way with the orange against the opposite side of the background. You should end up with a wonderfully blending background that goes from orange to yellow to orange again. I love this technique and need to use it more often.


Allow the paints to dry completely before the next step.



Now we need to glue the sign together, start by gluing the ring unit to the front of the background lining up the edges as much as possible. Now add the bat to the center. It wold be a good idea to test fit the bat before you put on a glue if you cut accurately it should just fit.


Now allow the glue to dry again.



 

Using the black paint again and a very small brush work from the back of the piece to paint the outside edge all around the sign. At this time touch up any areas on the black paint that need ti. Allow to dry.


 

 


 

To finish our signs I recommend a thin even coat of Mat Mod Podge.


 

 

 

 

 

Once dry your sign is ready to display in the dollhouse.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment