Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, September 17, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Spiderweb Cake

 


Watch the video here.




Today we are making a fun display cake for Halloween, I love making these so much since they set the scene for many holidays and special occasions. And they are much quicker and easier since you don’t have to worry about doing the inside of the cake cutting the work down a lot.


Since we won’t see the interior of the cake we can use pretty much any clay to make the base that will decorated. For mine I used some Original Sculpey.



 

 

To get the correct size for my cake I used a pair double craft-sticks. 

 

 

 


 

 

After rolling the clay out I cut 2 rounds with a ¾” round clay cutter. 

 

 

 


 

 

Then simply stack these together and bake for 30 minutes at the temperature recommended for the clay you using. Then allow to cool to room temperature.


 

 

Now we get to do the fun part, the decorating. Like a lot of my projects I went online to find a real cake to take inspiration from. For this one I found several that I took parts from. One thing I noticed was that most of the ones I was looking at were covered in fondant as opposed to frosting. I love this look so that was the direction I went.



For the layer of fondant I rolled out thin layer of an orange colored polymer clay. This was one from my stash and I don’t know the color name. Since I wanted a pretty thin even layer of clay I used a pair of slim sticks (from Hobby Lobby) to act as guides on each side of my roller. These were the thinnest items I had that I felt would work for this. Once the clay was rolled out I put some :Liquid Sculpey on the top of my baked clay blank and placed the sheet of clay onto it. I then added some more liquid clay to the sides of the blank and carefully molded the sheet of orange clay to the top and sides of my blank. I cut most of the excess clay off and make sure to get the orange clay just the way I wanted it. I then baked the piece for 10 minutes at the recommended temperature. 

 


 

 

I did place my cake upside down on my baking surface since the l had left some of the excess clay on the bottom as well as the fact there was a bit of Liquid Clay there also.


 

Once baked and cooled to room temperature I carefully evened out the bottom edge using a piece of sandpaper.


Now time to add the spiderweb. I admit I was a bit worried that the white Liquid Scupley wouldn’t give the rich black I was looking for but I worked just fine. It took about the same amount of black oil paint to give a nice rich black as I would expect to use with the Translucent Liquid Sculpey.



To make the spider web make some circles of the tinted liquid clay on the top of the cake, I like to use a toothpick that I have dulled the tip on for this. Then using the sharper end of the toothpick draw more black lines to make the web. Once you are happy with the effect you have bake the cake a final time at the recommended temperature fro 10 minutes.


And there we have it, a fun Halloween cake for the dolls in the dollhouse to serve at their Halloween party.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment