Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Pot of Gold Cookie Jar

 


Watch the video here.

 

 




This week I have yet another cookie jar tutorial for you. I promise I will get more variety going soon. And we will get back to the kitchen series, I just still need to be able to get the materials that I need to move on with the project.


So this week while I was looking at Google images for ideas I ran across some adorable pot of gold cookie jars and with St Patrick's Day not that far away I thought I would tackle one of them this week.



We are starting out like we most often do with a 4” strip of card-stock glued into our base cylinder, this time I used a ½” wide strip because most of the cookie jars in this shape were a little shorter and fatter than some of the others we have made.





After the glue dried this base was wrapped with some white clay, I used Original Sculpey, using TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) as a glue. I also added a rather fat snake to the middle to make an almost ball shape. I also made the flat disc we will be building our lid on at the same time. Bake these pieces at the recommended temperature for 10 to 15 minutes, allow to cool to room temperature before going to the next step.


Once your cookie jar is cooled roll out some black clay into a sheet big enough to cover your cookie jar. Coat the baked cookie jar with TLS and wrap and smooth the black clay onto it to cover. Cutting excess clay smoothing until you are happy with the coverage and the cookie jar is as smooth as possible. Next I added 4 tiny balls to the bottom of the jar to act as feet. I also cut a disc of the black clay and using TLS adhered it to the lid base we made to start forming the lid. Bake again and cool to room temperature.



This is the perfect time to make sure your lid is still going to fit on your cookie jar. Trim as needed.


Now using some yellow clay, I have no idea what color this clay is. It is the end of a package that the labeling has been lost. I can tell it is Sculpey III by the feel of the clay but that is about all know about it. Use any kind of bright yellow clay for this step. Since I am almost out of this color I did take a bit and using some TLS I put some on top of my lid. I wanted to make sure I had enough clay to do this before I started making coins. Set this piece off to the side and roll your yellow clay into a skinny snake and cut off little pieces. Roll these into tiny balls and using your finger tip flatten them to make your “coins” for the top of the cookie jar lid. Bake just the coins for about 5 minutes at the temperature recommended on your clay. And (I bet you know what I'm going to say) cool to room temperature.



Now I did add a bit more clay to the top of the lid to give it a better shape since I still had some left. I then coated the lid (a little bit at a time) and added coins to the top. Try to keep the coins looking like they are laying on top of each other not standing on their edges. If you need to bake your lid part way through this process do it. 

 

 


I was able to get mine all on in one run, bake for at least 10 minutes at the recommended temperature and cool.


Check that you are happy with the amount of coins on your lid. If you feel you need more add them. If not go with that you have.



Once you are happy with the way the lid looks give just the yellow clay a thin coat of gold paint. I am using Brushed Gold by Folkart. Use multiple thin coats of this paint, don't try to get a really good coat in the first coat.


If you want you could add some lettering to the front of your cookie jar. Some of the ones I saw online said things like “ Pot 'O Gold” or something like that. I decided not to tackle that today but feel free to go for it if you wish.



Once you are done with all the painting of details and they have dried completely give your cookie jar and it's lid a very light coat of Gloss Mod Podge and allow to dry naturally.








As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment