Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, February 26, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Chocolate Bundt Cake

 



Watch the video here.





This week for the Saturday tutorial I decided to make a chocolate bundt cake. I was looking online at Google images for ideas of what to make. I was in the mood to make some kind of dessert this week and I figured it would be fun to do something that could be served either for Saint Patrick's Day or just for spring. When I checked out cake images I ran across a dark chocolate bundt cake with some beautiful green and white drizzle running down it's sides. It was crowned with some green sprinkles, I knew I had found the project for today.


I know I am probably overusing the TLS oil paint icing the last few weeks but I love making it so much and I love how it looks on the clay baked goods. I was so happy when I found my box of oil paints a few weeks ago (I had put them in a “safe place” when I moved) that I just want to use them now.


So for the cake, there are several ways to approach the creation of a bundt cake in miniature. This is just one, I think it is probably the easiest one that doesn't require a special mold.


We only need one color of clay for this, a dark brown, I am using Sculpey III in Suede Brown but use whatever dark brown clay you have on hand.



Make a ½” ball with the dark brown clay.









Use your finger to flatten it a bit to make disk about 5/8” in diameter.







Now use a tool to make a hole in the center of your cake.







Next using some more of the same color clay and roll out a sheet of clay on a piece of 1/8” graph paper (here is a link to the free one I use). Use a pair of craft-sticks to make sure you have a consistent thickness to your sheet of clay.






Square off one long edge of the sheet of clay by cutting in line with one of the printed lines on the paper. Then using your clay knife at an angle cut a bevel on the cut edge. This will make it much easier to blend the strip of clay at the top of the cake.



Now cut 8 strips that are 1/8" wide from the clay.








Add the strips evenly around the cake with the beveled end at the top of the cake.







Texture the cake lightly with a toothbrush.



Now roll some more clay into a snake about the same diameter as a toothpick (about 1/16”) 

 

 

 

 

 

 


and use this snake to fill the small spaces between the strips.







Now use the toothpick to emphasize the seams between all the pieces you have added.



Lightly texture the cake again.







Bake at the recommended temperature for your clay for 20 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.


Now we are going to make the drizzle icing for our cake.


I like to do this on a small piece of aluminum foil so I can wrap it up and throw it away when I am done, this stuff can get messy if you aren't careful.


For each color of icing you want to make form small pool of TLS (Translucent Liquid Scupley) on your foil. Also put out a tiny bit of oil paint on the foil.



Using a toothpick mix a very tiny bit of the oil paint into the TLS to make your icing colors. I used Titanium White for the white, Emerald Green for the lighter green, and a mix of Viridian green with a tinier bit of Lemon Yellow.


Use toothpicks to apply the icing drizzle to your cake. Sprinkle on some glass mico-bead “sprinkles” if desired and bake for the recommended temperature for 10 minutes.


Once cooled completely your cake is ready to place in your mini scene.







As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment