Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Dollhouse Miniature Santa Stop Here Sign

 


Watch the video here.

 

 




This week I have another Christmas project for the dollhouse for you a Santa stop here sign. I have seen these in yards for many years and I always thought they were so cute. I did make my sign white with red lettering my white gel pen died on me and I really just didn't want to try to do the small lettering with paint this week. I think it is really cute this way and a lot brighter and easier to read too. You can of course reverse the colors on yours if you wish or change the colors completely for that matter.


I was did try a couple of different ideas before I settled on this one. I wanted to make this a project anyone could do. Played around mostly with trying to come up with a simple way to draw the octagon shape for the sign. If you have a pattern or a better idea than what I came up with go with what works best for you. This is just one way to do it.


As for the post, I used a wooden skewer from the kitchen (actually if is the opposite end of the one I cut for the the handle on the mailbox last week) With the point trimmed just a bit I discovered it fit into the ½” wooden spool I used for the bottom. I used some tacky glue to attach them securely together.




I was hoping the spool would be wide enough to stand on its own but it was way too tippy so I added a base made from some bits of one of those giant craft-sticks I got at Walmart. They are 1 ¼” wide so I cut two pieces 1 ¼” long from one. I wanted to make the base square so I could glue the two pieces together with the grain going in different directions. They are pretty thin and tend to warp but this really helped to keep them flat.


I painted the spool and about 3” of the skewer with some white paint as well as the squared base.








I cut the skewer just below where I started painting to make it about 3” long and then glued the spool to the base.






While the post unit was drying I created the stop sign. I just drew a circle om printer paper and then folded it into eights and trimmed off the round edge. I ended up with a passable octagon. I then used this as a pattern to cut one out of white card-stock. After this was cut I glued it to my card-stock and cut around it. I repeated this to make 4 layers of card-stock for a nice sturdy sign. I then did the lettering on the sign first with a pencil then traced it with a red ball point pen. I edged the sign with a Bic alcohol marker.


I then decided that post was just too white and too plain. I decided to add some red trim to it.






Once all the paint was dry I coated the post unit with some Mod Podge and allowed it to dry.






Once everything was dry I glued the sign to the post and again allowed to dry.








I added some Mod Podge to areas where I felt snow would probably stick and added some white glitter. Once dry the sign was ready to display.








As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment