Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Scarecrow Cookie Jar

 


Watch the video here.






We start the cookie jar like pretty much all the others we have made, with a card-stock core or base. This is made from a strip of white card-stock that is ¾” by 4” and is rolled around a Sharpie type marker and glued to form a tube. This allows us to have a sturdy base to build our cookie jar on and it also gives the inside of the cookie jar a nice finished appearance.



I do highly recommend using a thick tacky glue for this step and then allowing the glue to dry really well (overnight is probably best) This way the glue will not let go in the oven. At least that is what has worked best for me on these. The only time this method didn’t work for me was when I tried to rush and didn’t give the glue enough time to dry completely.



Once the glue on the card-stock base has dried we need to add a very thin layer of white polymer clay. This will give us a nice base to build our cookie jar on. For this I used Liquid Sculpey in White.


Once you have the outside of the base covered including a bottom added bake for 10 minutes at the temperature recommended on your clay. We also need to make a small disk of clay that will fit inside the top of the cookie jar to form the lid on. Bake your pieces for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature before moving to the next step.



Now onto making our cookie jar look like a scarecrow. I decided to keep this one pretty simple. For the color of the jar part of the cookie jar I am using Fimo Soft in Sahara. This is a light beige color clay you can use any similar color. Roll it thin and cut a strip to cover the jar. Use some more of the liquid clay to attach this layer to our already baked layer. Do keep the layer thin so the cookie jar stays a nice shape. Trim the beige clay to make a nice neat covering. Once you are happy with this layer you can add some details to the bottom edge to make it look more like gathered fabric. You can use any tool to this even a toothpick would do nicely. Once you are happy with it bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool.




Now we can begin working on the lid/hat for this I am using some Sculpey III in Hazelnut. I rolled I out using my craft-sticks to get a nice even layer. I then cut a circle with my 1 ¼” round clay cutter. This will form the brim of the hat. 

 


I want the hat brim to come down a bit over the top of the cookie jar so that is why I am cutting it this size. Use some more of the liquid clay to attach the round disk of clay we made earlier. Work with the edges of the brim to give it a nice shape and then bake if for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.


 

 


Now for the rest of the hat. I used more of the same clay and formed a cone shape. This was then added to the top of the brim with more liquid clay. It was then worked with until it covered the brim and looked like a hat. You could texture the hat at this point if you wish. The hat will need to bake for about 20 minutes.


For the face I decided to use my liquid clay with oil paint for painting the features. You could use craft paint if you wish. I feel with the liquid clay makes the lines I painted stand out a bit and just give a nicer look.



I mixed small dots of the liquid clay with oil paints to create black (using lamp black), white (using titanium white), and orange (using Vermilion red mixed with lemon yellow). 

 

 

 

 


 

I then used both a small dotting tool and a toothpick to paint on the features.


I did stop before adding the eyelashes and baked the face for 10 minutes to cure it.



 

 

Then I could paint on the lashes with out smearing the parts I had already painted. Bake3 for 10 minutes one final time when you are finished with the paint.


 


Now a thin coat of Satin Mod Podge will give the cookie jar a nice subtle shine and make him look finished.







As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment