Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Scarecrow Flag

 

Watch the video here.





Like always we are starting with a strip of plain white, 100% cotton fabric. I use bleached muslin for my flags, you should be able to find this fabric in any fabric store/department especially if they carry any fabrics geared to quilters. For our flag we need a strip that measures 1” by 3”.


The other item we will need to begin is some paper backed fusible web. This is basically a fabric glue that is heat activated and comes on a sheet of paper making it very easy to use. I prefer the Heat 'N Bond brand. There are other brands in stores and you can use whatever brand you can find. I do recommend you pick one that is designed to hold without sewing. Mine is labeled “Ultra-Hold” this way you won't need to worry about your flag coming apart later. You will need a 1” square of the paper-backed fusible web.


Follow the directions on your fusible web product to form your flag.


Now that we have a blank flag we can begin making it fit this month’s theme. I wanted a nice bright blue background like a couple of the scarecrow flags I saw online. However, I did not want to have to cover the blue color with my light face color paint. So I found my circle template and made a ¾” circle on the flag where I wanted the face to be. You will want to do this on both sides of the flag and do your best to line them up. 

 


 

By drawing this circle I can leave the area inside it plain and paint the bright blue right up to the edge all the way around. I don’t mind if the blue affects the colors of the other elements of the flag design.


 

 

 


 

 

Once the blue paint dries on both sides of the flag, use a creamy color to paint the face area. And allow to dry.


 

 


 

 

For the impression of the scarecrow’s shirt just paint a rounded shape with the color of your choice. I used a dark winey red. Be careful that you are painting this at the correct end of the flag (the sealed edge not the pocket edge)


 


 

 

For the hat I just paint a triangle shape on the top of his head.


 

 

 


 

Now we can start to add the details to the face. I used my white paint pen to make eyes, I will add to this in the next step. Some orange to make a small triangle nose, and finally some bright red to create a collar on his shirt. All to dry. I also added a small red flower to his hat.



Now with some black paint place a dot in the white dot for his eyes. I used my paint pen for this step. Then with a toothpick (or a very fine brush) add some black lines for the eyelashes and mouth. Then with some yellow paint  a dot to the middle of the flower.


 


With a darker yellow add some hay around the areas where the face meets the hat and shirt. I did find that my toothpick was much better for this step than a brush.

 

And with that our flag is ready to hang for fall.


As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment