Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, October 8, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Caramel Apple Cheesecake Tutorial

 

Watch the video here.




This week for our Saturday tutorial I am recreating a caramel apple cheesecake that I saw in a magazine. I thought it was so pretty and would make a fantastic mini project. I did simplify the design a bit but all in all I am very pleased with the outcome.



We need to start by making the cheesecake portion of out dessert. For this it is simple just some white clay rolled out just under ¼” thick. I used my double craft-sticks to size the depth of the clay. Then I just used my ¾” round clay cutter to cut the cake. This was then baked at the recommended temperature for 15 minutes to make sure it was fully cured before moving on to the next step.



The next step was to create our apple slices that will decorate the top of our cheesecake. The real one had the slices rolled into apple flowers. I had intended to do something similar but my translucent clay was far too soft to cooperate with that. So I opted to just use the slices layered around the cake top then on apple flower in the center of the cake.



To create the apple color use some translucent clay mixed with just the smallest crumb of a yellow clay. Just enough to tine the translucent clay a very pale yellowish color, like the inside of many varieties of apples. Form this clay into a log that is flat on one side about ¼” in diameter. Then using artist chalks in yellow and red add the skin color to the apple log. This now needs to go into the freezer for at least 15 minutes to firm up enough to slice very thinly. Once chilled slice as many slices as you feel you will need plus a few more. You always need more than you think you will.


While the apple clay was chilling I mixed the “caramel sauce” that will act as the not only the glue that holds the apple slices on but also the decorative element and it will be used to form the crust also.



 

To mix this I used some of the last of my TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) mixed with oil paints in Raw Sienna, yellow ocher, and burnt Umber. Just mix the colors in until it looks like a caramel sauce color.


 

Once you have the cake baked and cooled, sauce mixed, and the apple log sliced it is time to begin assembly.



 

To do this spread the top of the cheesecake with the TLS mixture then arrange your apple slices as desired. Once you are happy with the placement bake the cake for 10 minutes. This will set this part and allow you to move on and work on the next step.



Now add some of the sauce as a drizzle on the sides of the cake and add more to the top if you feel it needs it. Bake again to once again set your work.


Now add any more caramel sauce in spots you feel need it.


 


Now use the rest of your TLS mixture and add some sand to it to for a paste that can be spread on the bottom for the crust of the cheesecake. This is another step that will be done in stages. Get some on in a way you like then bake. Then come back and add more until you have everything the way you want it.


Bake after each step for 10 minutes to cure the TLS.



 

Once you are happy with the way your cheesecake looks use a very tiny amount of Satin Mod Podge to coat just the caramel sauce. Try not to get any on the surface of the cheesecake portion. We want that sauce to look shiny and wet like it would in real life.


Once dry it is tine to display your mini cheesecake in you fall mini scene.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment