Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Lemon Cookie Jar

 


Watch the video here.






This week for the Sunday tutorial we are adding a lemon themed cookie jar to the collection. I absolutely love lemons. I love their bright color and the way they smell so fresh and they just scream summer. So I knew this theme had to be a part of the dollhouse projects. I am finding that a lot of you also love this theme from the feedback on the doormat tutorial I posted on Tuesday.



We start the cookie jar like pretty much all the others we have made, with a card-stock core or base. This is made from a strip of white card-stock that is ¾” by 4” and is rolle4d around a Sharpie type marker and glued to form a tube. This allows us to have a sturdy base to build our cookie jar on and it also gives the inside of the cookie jar a nice finished appearance.


I do highly recommend using a thick tacky glue for this step and then allowing the glue to dry really well (overnight is probably best) This way the glue will not let go in the oven. At least that is what has worked best for me on these. The only time this method didn’t work for me was when I tried to rush and didn’t give the glue enough time to dry completely.



Once the glue on the card-stock base has dried we need to add a very thin layer of white polymer clay. This will give us a nice base to build our cookie jar on. For this I used Original Sculpey but any white polymer clay you have on had will do. Use a good coat of TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) to act as a glue between the card-stock and the raw clay. We will also be using the TLS in any step where we add raw clay to anything other than raw clay.

 

Once you have the outside of the base covered including a bottom added bake for 10 minutes at the temperature recommended on your clay. I normally make a small disk of clay at this point to act as a base for the lid but totally forgot and made it in the next step this time. Bake your piece for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature before moving to the next step.


Once the white layer is baked and cooled we are going to start building the shape of the lemon. I did this by adding a strip of yellow clay around the middle of the cookie jar and another narrower strip on top of that. We want to add some shape to the cookie jar. Use plenty of TLS to make sure the raw clay sticks to the baked clay layer. Bake at the recommended temperature for 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.



Now we add a couple of very thin layers of yellow clay to the entire outside of the cookie jar to cover the sides and make it look like a lemon. When you are happy with the coverage use a sanding block/sponge to give some texture to the surface. Bake again for 10 minutes.






Now we can work on the lid. I like to form the basic shape right on the top of the baked cookie jar that way I know it will fit when I am done. Make a nice cone shape to finish off the lemon shape. Add a bit of texture the same way you textured the cookie jar.


Now add a couple of green leaves to the top of the lid. You can add as many or as few as you would like.


Remove the lid from the top of the cookie jar and bake for 10 minutes.
Allow to cool to room temperature.


Now using some TLS add the little disk we made earlier to the bottom of the lid. Be sure to center it so it will fit on the jar later.


When you put this in the oven set it upside down on top of some aluminum foil that you have scrunched up around the lid to make sure it stays level while it bakes. This way the center white piece will stay in the correct place.


Now when I took my lid out of the oven I managed to drop it and one of the leaves popped off.. I just used a bit of TLS to reattach it and baked it again. I didn’t show this part because I was way to mad at myself to trust I would not say some of those words that YouTube will de-monetize the video for. LOL



Once both your cookie jar and the lid are just the way you want them add a very thin coat of a gloss finish, I used Gloss Mod Podge and allow to dry.





Now we have another cookie jar to add to the growing collection.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment