Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Mortar & Pestle

 


Watch the video here.

 

 




I was wandering around on Google the other day looking for some inspiration for projects and came across a picture of a slab of blue marble that was just stunning. It got me thinking about the mortar and pestle set I used to have years ago that made of marble and well here we are today making a mini version.



The method for making marble can be adapted to any color you want to use. For today’s version I used some dark blue Fimo (Windsor Blue) that I mixed with some translucent clay, some white mixed with translucent (1 pt white 2 pts translucent), some Pearl clay, and a small amount of Translucent Blue (Fimo). To change up the color keep the white/translucent and the pearl and use a color mixed with translucent and an accent color. I like to keep the two colors 1 dark and 1 white.





The trick to getting marble and not mud is to be careful to just fold and twist gently and in the same directions. Never smash the clay together and don’t gather it into a ball. There is a very fine line between marble and mixed. Stop while all the colors are still present in the mix in lines and swirls.


 

 


Once you have the clay mixed into a marble that you like it is time to make the mortar and pestle.


I looked around for something to form the bowl shape I desired around. I decided to go with a piece of a handle to one of my wooden spoons that had broken the other day. When it broke before I tossed it I cut off a small piece of the end of the handle and softened the edges just a bit. I knew it would come in handy for something.


The most important thing to remember in today’s project is to keep the lines of your marble going in the direction you want them to go. I kept mine going up and down on both pieces.


For the pestle portion just make a small snake and make it a slight cone shape.


When you are happy with both pieces bake them at recommended temperature for 10 minutes.



Allow to cool and give just the outside and handle portion a light coat of Mod Podge. You want to keep the “working” areas mat.







Be sure to tune in tomorrow to see what else I make for the kitchen with the same marble mixture.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




Mod Podge, and brush provided to me by Plaid to use in videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment