Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, May 7, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Salad

 

Watch the video here.





This week for the Saturday tutorial I decided to make some salad for the dolls. I do have a salad tutorial on the channel from a few years back (which you can find here) In that one I used the fake snow that you can buy at Christmas time to use around things like your holiday villages and such. I love how that stuff works for salad but sadly I am completely out. I had planned to get more last Christmas but I totally forgot about it. So I decided to come up with a tutorial using an alternative. I think I actually like this one better and it is simple to make with stuff you either have on hand or can easily get anytime of the year.


For the base I decided to use plain white tissue paper. The kind you get in the gift wrapping section of pretty much any store. I usually get mine at Dollar Tree and I always have a lot of it hanging around since I use it a lot in making patterns for sewing.


I experimented with several ideas for how to color the tissue paper and found plain old craft paint straight out of the bottle worked the best. I am not going to give you exact color names on this project because I want you to use what you have on hand. Just stick to greens that have warmer under tones. The only ones that won't work well are greens that have a hint of blue in their color. Just think about what colors you see in bags of salad greens at the grocery store. Whenever I make salad I always add some purple and reddish-purple to it. That is because usually when I buy the bagged salad I look for the ones that have the red toned leaves in them. When my daughter was little those were her favorite part, she especially loved radicchio, which her older brothers claimed was ridiculous. Had to throw their pun in here. LOL


I used a total of 4 colors of green paint and the 2 reddish colors. I think this gives a good mix but use the colors you love to make the salad your own. If your dolls want just iceberg lettuce just pick a nice pale green, if they are craving a Caesar pick your paint color(s) accordingly.



When painting I used one brush for all the green colors and then a separate brush for the red toned colors. I didn't care if the green colors mixed, in fact that will give your salad a bit more interest. I didn't want the green and the red tones to mix though since this would have resulted in a very muddy brown that would not make for a good looking salad. Be sure to use some tape to anchor your paper down to your work surface and do work on an area that won't be damaged by the paint.


Once the first side of the paper dries flip it over and paint the other side. I didn't worry about getting the same green colors back to back since again this having more color in more area makes for more interest. I did try to line up the red tones though since I didn't want to chance the colors turning brown.



Once completely dry tear your salad into tiny pieces. I like to tear up part of mine, and leave some in larger pieces.



When you are ready to make a salad add a bit of mat Mod Podge to your salad container and add a few larger pieces of painted paper that you have crumpled up. This will make a base to work on. Then using some more Mod Podge add small bits of crumpled “lettuce” as desired.


It is also fun to add some of our polymer clay veggies and such to our salad. I pulled out some of the things we have made over the last couple of months- some olives, cheese, and ham from the meat and cheese board, as well as some of the tomato bits from our tacos.


Just add your additions and layer on more of your lettuce until you are happy with the way your salad looks.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment