Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Dollhouse Miniature Flour Tortillas

 



Watch the video here.

 




First off, let me thank everyone for their patience this last week. If you didn't read my blog from last week I had a major issue with my video editing software and ended up not able to get this video finished for last weekend. I ended up getting a new editing program and I am still in the process of learning how to use it. Today's video is actually only the second video I have edited with it. I decided to work on the one that will go up next Tuesday first since it was shorter. I will get a handle on the program but it is going to take a while. So in the meantime videos might be a bit “glitchy” and I might make some editing errors along the way. Sorry for any of those problems, I am doing my best, learning new computer software is something I find very difficult.


So let's get on to talking about today's project, flour tortillas and and tortilla keeper/warmer/whatever the correct term is. If you do know what this container is properly called let me know.


Anyway, the tortillas again this week are made from card-stock with as painting technique to make them look realistic. This is another project that was in my notebook from years ago that I have always wanted to try. I love how they turned out. You do have to be careful not to make the brown spatters too large (something I seem to be struggling with) but overall these look very real. I love that they can be so thin and not be brittle like they would be id I had used polymer clay to make them.


When I first planned to make these I was going to make some kind of food to go with them in the same video. I didn't have time to do that so instead I decided to make the “terracotta” warmer/keeper instead. I do hope to make something else using some of the tortillas for next week's video though. Hopefully I will get them done in time.



We are starting out with a sheet of white card-stock and using a very thin wash of a cream color paint. You want lots of water and just a tiny bit of paint in this. It isn't about giving the paper an even wash of color you want the coat of color to be very light and splotchy. Then let this dry for a bit, not all the way just until the paper is more damp than wet. Now scrunch the damp paper into a tight ball, you might want to do this a couple of times. Then flatten it out, you want a very wrinkled surface. Now using the same cream color paint and a scrunched up paper towel wipe some cream color paint lightly onto the surface of the paper. You again don't want a full coat, you want to just hit the higher points and the idea is to have a wrinkled paper that has three colors- the white of the paper, the water down cream wash and just a bit of the full strength cream color.



Now while this last paint is sit fresh and the paper is still damp use any brown paint and a toothbrush to splatter on some brown specks.






Now the paper needs to dry completely before we punch out our circles from it. If it is at all damp it will not cut/punch out neatly. I ended up letting mine dry overnight to actually get it all the way dry.



I did use my Cricut to cut my circles since it was already out on my table and I have no idea where my circle punches are. You can make your flour tortillas in many sizes, I cut mine at 7/8” to replicate a tortilla that is around 10” in real life. I figure I can make a lot of different foods out of this size. If you want to make some soft tacos you might want to cut yours at ½” or if you want to make something that would take a larger tortilla you could cut them up to 1” and still have them look realistic. The sizes I would recommend would be- ½”, ¾”, 7/8”, or 1”.


The next thing to make was now the tortilla keeper/warmer/? whatever it should be called. I found a lot of variations online for these but I decided to go with a terracotta look one.


I used Kraft color card-stock as my base for this because I felt it would paint up to look the most realistic in the end.

For this you will need 7 circles that are 1”, 3 that are 7/8” (or ¾”) and a strip that is ¼” wide by about 8”.



Start by gluing the 3 of the 1” circles in a stack, 4 of the 1” circles in another stack, the smaller circles in a third stack. And allow the glue to dry. At this time you also need to glue the strip around something that is 1” in diameter. (I used my clay roller but anything the correct size will work) use a thick tacky glue for all the gluing.



Once dry it is time to glue the small stack onto the bottom of the stack of 4 circles. And glue the stack of 3 onto the strip that you glued into a ring shape so that the strip forms the sides of the keeper.


 

 


Allow this glue to dry. I like to add a bead of glue to the inside of the ring and spread it with a cotton swab so make a really good bond.







Now it is time to use a terracotta craft paint to paint our little keeper. If you want you could make yours any color you like. I do like to use 2 coats of paint.







Once the paint is dry add a couple of coats of Mat Mod Podge and your tortilla keeper is ready to use.










As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment