Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Dollhouse Miniature Paint Test How Many Coats???

 

Watch the video here.



I was in the mood to do another paint test and this is one that has been roaming through my brain for a couple of weeks now so here we go. I do want to preface this by saying I really wanted to do this test with the acrylic paint form Dollar Tree but they were out of the black so I decided to do the test with the Prang Tempura paint also from Dollar Tree. I have another idea that I want to do with the Dollar Tree acrylic paint which also will need the black so I hope they get it in stock soon.


So let’s start with the set up for the test.



I am using a sheet of 140lb weight watercolor paper. I used some acrylic (Anita’s brand) black paint to cover half the sheet.


I put out some of each the black and white paint that I am testing into containers that have lids to work from as the day goes on.


I picked two large brushes that were similar to use and they were wrapped in wet wipes between tests. This way I am not going back in with water in the brushes that could affect the opacity of the paint.



 

I then laid down as even of a coat as I could of the black on the white side of the paper and the white on the black side. This coat filled most the height of the sheet of paper. Then it was allowed to dry.


 

Off camera I added more single coats of paint allowing then to dry between. I would have filmed more of the coats but there were people in the parking lot outside my window with a stereo going loud enough that it would been picked up by my microphone. (YouTube would have not liked that at all)



I was surprised that the black covered a lot better than the white did in this test. Especially since the first coat of black was so transparent and blotchy. It really looked okay in person after the fourth coat was dry and the fifth coat looks really good. The white at this point was still lacking coverage big time.



 

 

With the white paint the fifth coat was almost okay… And for some applications I can see it being usable. The 6th coat was close to decent coverage, maybe one more would have been enough but I am not sure sure.



 


 

 

Off camera I also did test the white acrylic paint and the results were very similar to the white in the “official” test today.


 

 

 

So what did we learn. As expected with enough coats of the paint you can get decent coverage. The question is would it be worth it? That remains for you to answer.


I do wonder if these could be a good alternative as a base or primer coat. Since they are a lot cheaper than the good craft paints if they would seal the project and allow us to cut down coats of the more expensive paint it might be worth it for that. The question there in my mind is durability and that could be a future test on the channel.


I do have another test in mind where I think the lack of opacity would be a positive and as soon as I can get the black in the acrylic I will be doing that one.


In the meantime if you have paint tests you would like to see let me know I love doing these. They are probably the videos I have the most fun doing and that is just what I need some weeks.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment