Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Dollhouse Miniature Exterior Siding Cube 2.0 Side 1

 

Watch the video here.



This week I decided to cover a side of what I am calling my Exterior Siding Cube 2.0. I talked a while back about the fact that the original cube got damaged so I had to toss it. I really liked it so I decided I was going to do another one. I asked if you guys wanted to see me create the new one and I get enough positive responses to go ahead and share the process. I decided that I while some of the sides will be the same or similar to the old cube I will try to add some new ideas this time around also. I would love your input on what to add so if you have ideas let me know.


Also if this video seems rushed I apologize, I had actually planned to do another project today but there is one key component that I couldn’t get my hands on so I had to scramble to come up with a project for today.


If you haven’t seen the tutorial where I made the cube I am using here is a link to that one. These are super simple cubes made from foam core which I demonstrate a different technique on each of the 6 faces. We have one that when finished will have 6 different ways to create dollhouse miniature porch, patio, or deck floor. This one will be ideas for the exterior walls of your dollhouse projects. I also have plans to start a roof cube soon too. I have also played with the idea of doing cubes that are devoted to different decorating styles. For instance maybe a mid-century modern cube that would have 8 different surfaces related to that style, or Art Deco, or Victorian, or whatever. Those would have a combination of wall, roof, and ceiling ideas/textures/finishes that might be a mix of indoor and exterior. Also cubes devoted to interior finishes could be fun too.


These cubes are decorative but also inspirational, I find looking at the different sides does spark ideas for projects. I have my flooring cube in my living room and guests have been fascinated by it and it has sparked conversations so it is fun for that also.


Now on to today’s project.


For this first side I am going to do a “stucco” type finish. This happens to be my favorite way to get this look. It is also really easy and really cheap to do (even if you are covering an entire dollhouse with it) I used this finish on most of the exterior way back when I built my Harrison dollhouse. I think the tour of that dollhouse was either the very first or second video on the channel so that was a looooong time ago.


All you need to do this technique besides the surface you are covering are whatever paint you wish to use and some facial tissue (make sure it is the kind that is smooth without any designs stamped in the surface)


To start peel the layers apart if the brand you are using has more than 1 layer and tear the tissue into smaller pieces.


The paint for this layer is basically a primer coat so even if you are using a latex paint for the final coat just use a craft paint for this layer.



 

Paint a small area of you surface with a generous coat of the paint.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Then lay a piece of the tissue on top of the paint.


 

 


Use your loaded paint brush to move the tissue to give you the amount of wrinkles and lumps you want. Keep in mind that after you add the topcoat of paint at the end it will even out the look so make it slightly more lumpy than you want in the end. Make sure the tissue starts as a single layer because otherwise I find the paint doesn’t soak through as well and bubbles will result.



 

 If you see areas where it looks like there is air trapped just mash the area with the paint loaded brush and mash it down. You really want to coat this with plenty of paint.


Allow this to dry completely, overnight is best for this step.



Normally I use interior latex paint from the hardware store but I don’t have any in the cream color I wanted for this project so I am using just plain old craft paint. I would not recommend using craft paint for the exterior of a dollhouse but if you need to be sure you use enough coats to give a good finish and follow up with a topcoat of a clear mat or satin sealer (like Mod Podge) The cream color I am using I had to mix for another project so I made extra to use here. It is just mostly a white acrylic craft paint with a few drops of the palest yellow craft paint I had on hand. I just wanted something like a cream/ivory color. Just brush whatever paint you are using over the surface and allow it to dry. You might need 2 (or more) coats depending on the paint you use. Allow the paint to dry.


Since my goal on this side of the cube was to create a really old, dirty wall I wanted to add a dirty wash. If you making a newer wall you can skip this part or just do a tiny bit. For this step no matter what type of paint my main wall color is I would use an acrylic craft paint. I started by mixing a brown color that looked like mud. You can use a ready made color or mix one like I did. Then I added a lot of water. My paint barely covered the bottom of the small container I used then I added water to be about 1/8” deep. We are really just going to use the colored water not paint in this step.



To add the wash use a large brush and add a good amount of the wash to a small area. For this step of the project I am stirring the paint/water mixture each time I put my brush into it. Layer on a good layer of the wash and let is sit for a few seconds up to a couple of minutes depending on the look you are after. On a dollhouse you will have to lay it down so the surface you are painting is horizontal for this. After the wash sits use paper towels to blot off the excess. You should have just a stain of color. Go over the surface repeating these steps and then let it dry. It will lighten up in color as it dries. When you have the level of grunge on the surface that you like you can move on to the details.



Next I added a layer of just the water from the top of the wash container around the edges. On a dollhouse I would do this at the bottoms of walls where they were in contact with the ground. Where mud and such would splash/seep up. The more you add the older and grungier your wall will look. If you have window openings add drips coming from the corners. The only place you want to avoid adding too much is in areas that would be protected, places like just under the roof eaves, leave that fairly clean and add more grunge closer the bottom of the wall. Just have fun and make it as old or new as you wish.



 

 

Since I dd use craft paint now was the time to add that sealer coat. I just used some mat Mod Podge since I am after an old grungy look. For a newer looking wall use a satin sealer. Allow this to dry.



 

 


As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment