Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, September 29, 2024

Dollhouse Miniature Monster Windsock

 


Watch the video here.



As I was looking through some images online of Halloween decorations for real front porches I ran into several different designs of windsocks for the holiday. I remember how much fun the ghost one was that we made on the channel in the past so I decided to pick one and make it for this week’s tutorial. There were a lot of choices but the monster one was just so cute I had to go with him today. And besides it was a great excuse to play with some of the metallic paints I recently picked up.



The main part of the windsock is just a strip of medium weight card-stock that I cut to ¾” by 3” I just used some that was leftover from one of the Cricut projects we have done.



 

 

I then painted both sides of the strip with some of the Metallic Lime Green paint, of course you could use a regular lime green paint or any green color you want for this. Paint both sides of the strip and allow to dry completely.




Next we need to add the streamers to the bottom of the windsock. I like to use embroidery floss for this. For a windsock this size I like to use about 12 streamers and I cut them 3” long. This time I decided to alternate black and dark purple. The real ones had a variety of colors, some were the same green as the main part, some were black but a couple had the mix of black and purple and since purple is my favorite color I had to choose that combo. To cut the floss I wrap it around a piece of cardboard that is 3” wide then cut at each side where it bends around the cardboard. That is the easiest way I have found to cut multiples the same length.




Now wrap the painted strip around the barrel of a marker (I use a Sharpie) and mark just where the point is where it will start to overlap. We want to just add the streamers to the layer against the pen barrel.


Now lay a bead of glue to the edge of the strip at the bottom edge on that area that will be against the marker and add the streamers. This is much easier than it looks on the video if you aren’t trying to stay under a camera and can just add the pieces it is pretty quick to do. Once the streamers are in place add another bead of glue over the ends of the streamers and pat everything down so it makes really good contact with the strip of card-stock. Allow this glue to dry completely before the next step.



Start by wrapping the strip of card-stock around the marker to make it start to curve. Then add glue like I did in the video and carefully wrap the strip around the marker to create the windsock. Most of the time I find it I hold the end in place for about a minute it will stay just fine. If it wants to come unwrapped just add a small rubber band to hold it in place. (mine stayed just fine even with the paint on the surface) Allow the glue to dry.



 

Now the fun part starts we get to add the features. I like to start at the top with his hair. For this I used some of the black metallic paint but any black will work just fine. Add a narrow kind of crooked band of paint at the very top of the windsock then use something with a point (I used a toothpick) to pull down points of his hair. Then allow this dry so it doesn’t smear as we work on his face.


 


 

 

Next up add the whites of his eyes by dipping something like the handle of paint brush into white paint and making 2 nice big eye balls. Allow to dry.


 

 

 


 

 

Now for some personality. I started with a tiny dotting tool and added a mouth and a scar with the same black paint I used for the hair. Then changing to a larger dotting tool add a black dot to each eye. Where those eyes are placed will really affect his personality so think about how you want your monster to look. Now let this paint dry.



 

 

Now we can add a string to hang him up with. I just cut some of the same black embroidery floss to about 5” long and glued the very ends to the inside on each side at the top of the windsock. You can adjust the length of the string depending on where you are going to hang him.


 

 


 

 

Allow the glue to dry and he is ready to hang on the porch of the dollhouse.


 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment