Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Dollhouse Miniature Dresser Makeover

 

Watch the video here.



I have another Dollar Tree furniture makeover for you this week. This time I am using the tall dresser, but this project will work with any of the cheap dressers on the market, it works especially well on the ones that have the fake drawers like this one.



 

For this project we will need the dresser and some scrap book/ card making paper that has a tiny (in scale) design. We will also need the normal supplies of glue, Mod Podge, paint, etc.


 


As always we start with a bit of prep work, mainly to remove the drawer pulls and any excess glue. Both of these tasks required me to dig out my heat gun but once the heat was applied everything went smoothly (except a bit of darkening of the wood near on pull that did not want to come off)


Now its time to give the entire dresser a base coat of white craft paint. This will give a nice surface to work on and it will seal the wood. Let the paint dry.



Once the paint dries go over the dresser with some sandpaper to remove any bumps and lumps and just to smooth everything out. After sanding it wipe it down with a dry paper towel to remove the dust. Then give the dresser another coat of craft paint. I used the same white for this coat. Allow to dry.


 

 

At this point I knew I had to do something with about the fact the top of my dresser was on in the wrong place. I had debated between removing the top and gluing it in the correct place or just cutting it flush on the side that extended out. I decided to remove it and place it correctly. For this I just heated the glue with my heat gun and then used a knife to pry it off.

 Measure to find the center of both the top and the body of the dresser and glue it back in place. Allow the glue to dry.



 

Now we can add the paper to the drawer fronts. I cut a piece of my paper that was as exactly the height of the drawer area and a tiny bit wider. I then carefully applied some Mod Podge to just the drawer fronts. Keep it out of the spaces between the drawer fronts because we will be removing the paper in those areas later. Now smooth the paper in place being careful to have the paper oriented correctly. Allow the Mod Podge to dry completely.


Now we can remove the excess paper, I started with any paper that was hanging off the sides. I used a clean emery board and basically sanded the edge of the paper away. This will give a nice crisp line at the edge of the wood and remove the extra paper.


Now very carefully line something like a dotting tool with the crevice between the drawer fronts and slowly (in a couple of passes) break through the paper in that area. Then follow up with the emery board to neaten the line. Repeat this as needed.


I did decide to let the top drawer be just one drawer instead of the original three. I felt it would look too busy with the third drawer and third drawer pull up there.


Once you are happy with the way the paper looks go over it and if needed add some more Mod Podge in any areas where the edges of the paper are not stuck down.



At this point I used some white paint on a tiny brush and painted over the line between the drawers to sharpen it up and make it look better.

Then if desired pick a couple of colors from the paper and paint parts of the dresser. I decided to paint the bottom of the dresser with a light green and the top with a pale blue. I did my best to match the colors in the paper.



 

 

Then paint the drawer pulls to to coordinate with the dresser. I picked the pink from the paper for these.


 

 

 

Use a ball tool to find where the drawer pulls were on the drawer fronts and get the holes started. I came back to this task later when my paint was dried to finish it.


Before we can put the drawer pulls back on the dresser the holes will need to be cleaned out really well. I ended up using a combination of dotting tools, my knife and some tweezers to get this done.



 

 

I do recommend dry fitting each pull before in the hole where you plan to place it just before you do glue it. Do this one at a time do any additional cleaning up then dip the flat end in some glue and place it in the hole in drawer front. Let the glue dry.


 

 


 

Now follow up with a thin even coat of Satin Mod Podge and allow to dry.


And there we have a really pretty dresser to use in our next mini scene.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment