Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Dollhouse Miniature Winter Gnome

 

Watch the video here.

 


I have another free pattern for you to download so you make the project. You can find the file here. In the download there are 3 files: a PDF for hand-cutting of the pieces, a PNG to use with your electronic cutting machine and a text file with handy hints and tips (and the sizing information) to use the PNG.




As with most of these projects I cut all the pieces from medium weight white card-stock, the kind used to make cards and such. This is way more economical than having to purchase a bunch of colors and in my experience the paint colors are a lot more stable than the paper colors. I rarely get noticeable fading with the painted projects.


You are free to use the pattern as many times as you wish and even to sell the finished project. But, please don’t give away or sell my patterns. I spend a lot of time creating them and the only compensation I get is from people watching the videos and checking out the blog post. I really want to keep offering these for free so please if someone else wants to make one send them to the video and blog so they can get their own copy of the pattern.



The first step is to glue the units together, you will find that the pieces are grouped together on the pattern to make this easier. In the end you should have 1 body (4 layers thick), 1 hat (3 layers), 1 beard (3 layers), 1 snowflake (3 layers), 2 hands (each 3 layers thick), 2 shoes/feet (each 3 layers) 1 hat brim (2 layers) and 1 pompom for the hat (2 layers) Allow the glue to dry completely before moving on the next step.


Next we need to paint the units. I like to lay down a piece of tape on my work tile sticky side up (anchored down on each end with more tape. And lay my units on the sticky surface grouped by the color they will be painted. This is why the glue needs to be all the way dry because I have found if the card-stock is still damp from the glue when I put it on the tape it is more apt to tear badly when I remove it later.


Now just paint the units as desired here are the colors I used:



 

The hat brim and pompom were painted white.


 

 

 


 

 

The shoes/feet black.


 


 

 

The beard was first painted white then some streaks were added with a small amount of black.


 


The hands and nose in a flesh tone.


 

 


 

The body and hat in a blue.


 

 

Give any pieces a second coat of paint if needed and check the edges of the units to make sure everything is covered.


Allow the paint to dry completely, I have found if I try to glue (the next step) before the paint is completely dry it sometimes will cause the paint to transfer to places I don’t want it and make a mess.



 

Now can begin the process of assembling our gnome. I like to start with gluing the beard and feet to the body unit. Being careful that nothing extends beyond the flat bottom edge of the body piece. I like to start with the beard centering it side to side and best as I can. Then add the shoes/feet on either side at the bottom. This glue needs to set up enough that the pieces will stay in place but it doesn’t need to dry completely.


 


 

 

At this point I added a coat of a glitter to the snowflake using a layer of Mod Podge. This is optional but it does make the snowflake look the part a bit better. Set this aside to dry completely.


 



 

Once the glue has set up we can add the hat and nose. I did use the nose piece to cut the curve in the hat so they should fit together really well. I like to do both of these pieces at the same time just in case I have any glue build up at the nose area of the hat. If it dried it could prevent a close fit of the two pieces.


 

 

Once the snowflake is dry peel it off the tape that is holding it in place and clean up any excess glitter from the edges.



 

 

Now we can glue the snowflake in place and add the hands to look like the gnome is holding it. I also finished the hat at this point by gluing on the brim and pompom as well as some large white glitter pieces. Decorate the hat any way you want, have fun with it. (and show me pictures)


 

Now a quick coat of Satin finish, I used Mod Podge over both the front and the back (let it dry between) making sure the edges are all covered really well.



 

 

Once dry your gnome is ready to decorate the dollhouse, here is the one we made today along with some of the other winter items we have made on the channel in past years.




 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment