Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Dollhouse Miniature Winter Gnomess

 

Watch the video here.



First I want to I had intended to have this tutorial up for last Sunday but life (weather and then a bit of a cold) got in the way. So I decided to get it up for the midweek tutorial instead. I do try to make the midweek videos shorter but I really wanted to this one as soon as possible.


And for the title of the video I Googled what a female gnome is called and from what I learned gnomess seems to be the correct term so that’s what I decided to go with here. If someone has a better idea let me know.



With all that out of the way let’s get to the project.


I have another free pattern for you to download so you make the project. You can find the file here. In the download there are 3 files: a PDF for hand-cutting of the pieces, a PNG to use with your electronic cutting machine and a text file with handy hints and tips (and the sizing information) to use the PNG.



As with most of these projects I cut all the pieces from medium weight white card-stock, the kind used to make cards and such. This is way more economical than having to purchase a bunch of colors and in my experience the paint colors are a lot more stable than the paper colors. I rarely get noticeable fading with the painted projects.


You are free to use the pattern as many times as you wish and even to sell the finished project. But, please don’t give away or sell my patterns. I spend a lot of time creating them and the only compensation I get is from people watching the videos and checking out the blog post. I really want to keep offering these for free so please if someone else wants to make one send them to the video and blog so they can get their own copy of the pattern.



T

o start the project we need to glue the layers of each unit together. When you are done you should have the pieces (units) that are shown in this picture. I just use a thin layer of a thick tacky glue to put mine together. I have the best luck that way. I have had many projects in the past that I used glue stick on that fell apart in a short time so I avoid using them. This glue needs to be completely dry before we go onto the next step which is painting.



To set up to paint I tape a piece of tape with it’s sticky side up on my work surface. I then put the glued units onto the tape grouping them by color.


You can use whatever colors you want here are the ones I decided to use today.



 

For the braids a golden yellow.


 

 

 


Cup pieces red.



 

 

 


 

 

Liquid for cup a dark brown.


 


 

 

Shoes a black.


 

 

 

Nose and hands a flesh type color.



Hat and back/body piece a bright blue.


 

 

 


Give the pieces as many coats of paint as needed to get the coverage you want on your gnomess. Allow the paint to dry.



I like to add a thin coat of Mod Podge to the pieces I am going to be painting any details on. This way if/when I mess up I can use a cotton swab and “erase” my mistakes. Without the barrier of the Mod Podge it is much more difficult to get the mistakes off the surface. Allow this coat of Mod Podge to dry.



Now we are adding the details. I used a lighter brown for the details on the braids. I just made some short diagonal lines on each side. I am hoping to get better with painting the braids over time. Also add a line of the color of the back piece to the braid to look like a hair tie holding the braid once the lines dry a bit.

For the design on the mug I went with a white flower that was very simple. Later I thought it might have been cool to see if I had any tiny stickers that could have been added. Or if you have any tiny rubber stamps you could go that route. In other words add whatever design you want using whatever medium you desire.

For the hat I used a light blue and made some diagonal stripes then added white dots. I really didn’t have set idea of what I wanted to do I just wanted to make a fun hat design here. Let all this paint dry completely.



 

Now that all the painting is done we can start to put her together. I decided to start with the hat/ hair/ nose unit. This way I could line all of these pieces up the way I wanted them before adding to the body/back piece. To do this I put down a piece of washi tape and lining the braids up on this so that the top width is the same as the bottom of the hat and their tops are even. Then I glued the hat to them. I then added the nose to this piece tucking it into the spot in the hat where it goes. Let this glue set up enough that these pieces will stay in place when moved off the tape.



 Once the glue is set up add both the hat unit and the shoes to the back/body unit. Lining everything up like I did in the video.


This is also when we need to put the cup together. Simply add the filler piece to the cup back leaving a thin edge of the back showing at the top. Then add the cup front lining the top of it with the bottom of the filler and making sure the side opposite the handle lines up. The bottom edge of the front will be longer than the back piece.


Allow glue to dry.



 

 

 

The last things to add are the cup and the two hands to our little friend then she needs to dry completely.


 

 

 


 

 

Now just a thin even coat of Satin Mod Podge over both the front and back and being sure to coat the edges also. Allow this to dry.


 

 

 

 


 

 

And here she is on the front porch of the dollhouse. I am in love with her! I hope you are too.




 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment