Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature BBQ Grill pt 5

 

Watch the video here.



This has been such a fun project and I am happy to say that today we have the finished grill for the doll family!! I want each of you to just take a moment and think about how far we have come in 5 tutorials. We started with a toilet paper tube and we now have this awesome BBQ Grill.


Okay on to today’s tutorial.



 

So first things first we need to paint that side shelf we added last week with some black paint. This is also a wonderful time to go over the grill once again and touch up any spots where the black paint missed. Make sure everything is painted and let the paint dry completely.


 


Once you are happy with the coat of black on the grill it is time to seal the paint. I am using Mat Mod Podge because it is what I have on hand. I know that there are products that the model rail road guys use that give a true mat finish and that would be better here but I don’t have any. So the Mod Podge will have to do. It will seal the coat of paint so that it doesn’t chip off every time the grill gets bumped. It will also help to that if anything gets on the grill that you need to clean off you will be able to do so with less fear of ruining your paint. You only need to use 1thin coat but do be sure to cover all the areas that have been painted.



While the Mod Podge is drying we can work on the handles for the lids of the grill. I did try to come up with a way to elevate the handle away from the grill but I couldn’t come up with a way to glue the tiny pieces that would be secure enough. So the handles are going to lay flat against the grill. For the handle I am using a bamboo skewer. They are a good diameter to make a handle and they are easy to find. I probably got the one I am using at the dollar store. The first step is to give about half the skewer two coats of a darkish gray paint. Your want a good coverage with the color. Let the paint dry.



 

 

Now we can add a coat of a silver metallic paint to the skewer. I only needed one coat on mine. Since I was going to cut this up I let the paint dry overnight at this point. I find that helps to have nice cut edges on things like this.


 


Once the silver paint is dry you need to safely cut the skewer the correct size. I just eyeballed how far across both the main lid (the one that opens) and the lid to the side firebox) and cut what looked right. Do use something that is designed to cut hard materials. I see way too many people on YouTube cutting this type of thing with scissors and this is very, very, very dangerous. I like to use pet nail clippers, they are strong enough to cut hard nails (these cut large dog claws) and they have the bonus of being made to cut a round object. They leave very little to sand away, an almost perfect cut every time. Once cut touch up the cut ends with the same silver paint and allow to dry.



 

Use some tacky glue to attach the handles to the grill lids in the appropriate places. Allow the glue to dry.



Next up is one of my favorite details on the grill, the thermometer. For this off camera I made a tiny dot with some white paint ¼” up from the handle and centered on the lid of the main grill. This is used for placement. I added a dot of super glue to the area around the dot and added a 4mm silver colored jump ring. Do your best to get that dot centered under the ring and allow the super glue to set up for at least a half hour.



 

 

Once the super glue sets up add some white paint to fill in the area inside the ring. I used the end of the handle of a small paint brush. You just need to cover the black inside the circle. I did use 2 coats of paint and then let the paint dry.


 


 

Now we are going to use some different finishes of Mod Podge to make different areas of the grill really look the part. We start with some Satin Mod Podge on just the wheels, we want them to look like they are plastic so they need a bit more of a shine that the rest of the grill. Allow this dry enough that it won’t smear on the next step.


 


Next we can add more of the Satin Mod Podge to the silver colored handles. This will allow them to look like they are made of metal not bamboo skewer. If you do get any of the shinier Mod Podge onto the body of the grill you can do a touch up with the Mat when everything is finished. Now is also a good time to add just a drop of Gloss Mod Podge to the thermometer, it will probably need two coats to fill up the area. You are trying to have it be level with the jump ring when it is dry. Allow all this dry before handling the grill.


So there you have it, our finished BBQ Grill! I am so happy with how this turned out and I hope you enjoyed it also.



As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment