Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Dollhouse Miniature Exterior Floor Cube Side 3

 

Watch the video here.



This week I decided to add another side to our exterior flooring cube. This time my inspiration was the texture on the roll of paper towels that sits on my work table. I have been looking at I for a couple of days thinking it looks kind of like some of the textured concrete patios I have seen pictures of. I just wasn’t sure how well the texture would hold up to turned into floor. I am really happy with the result and I hope this inspires you to try something different in your next project.



 

The paper towel that I used in the project is from a roll from Dollar Tree, I get the rolls with the most sheets to keep on my work table. But check whatever brand you have on hand.


 

 


I did find that the half sheet is exactly the right width for my cube so that was nice. To attach I used a thin coat of mat Mod Podge. I want to stress that I am using thin coats of any liquid on this project to help preserve the texture that inspired me. The wetter the paper towel gets the more chance of loosing the texture. So apply a thin coat of Mod Podge and carefully smooth the paper towel in place. Set it aside to dry.




 

 

Once dry trim the long flaps away and add another very thin coat of the same Mod Podge. This coat will not only seal the surface it will hopefully give the texture a bit of strength. Allow to dry again.



Once dry it is time to add some color to the surface. I picked 4 colors of craft paint, 3 grays and a very gray blue. A small amount of each color was put out on my “palette”. I then used a stencil type brush to pounce the paint onto the surface. This way my brush hits a different mix of the colors each time I get more paint. 

 


The colors combine but stay separate at the same time and the variation in color is much better. The result is a blend of all the colors and every color in between and I love it. Allow the paint to dry and add a bit more in any areas that just don’t look the way you want them to. Then allow to dry completely.


Finish the surface with another coat of Mat Mod Podge and allow to dry.


Once the Mod Podge is dry use a piece of sandpaper to neaten up the edges of the cube.


So another side of our exterior floor cube is done and I love this one.



As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment