Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Beachside Bungalow Kitchen- The Oven Door & Stovetop

 


Watch the video here.

 

 



All paints, brushes, and the Mod Podge was provided to me from Plaid free of charge.


These kits are part of the Houseworks Kitchen Collection which can be found here.


I decided to tackle both the oven door kit and the cook-top kit at the same time since they have a lot of the same steps in common.


The first step whenever I am painting any minis that are made of any kind of metal is to thoroughly wash them. I did this in a bowl of soapy water (I use whatever dish washing soap I have on hand) I then rinse them in another bowl that contains mostly water with a Tablespoon or two distilled vinegar. The vinegar helps to remove any remaining oils that might have gotten onto the pieces. I then let them dry completely before I paint them.


For paints I used just plain craft paint. Since I know these pieces will only be for display and not handled much I feel that is enough. If I was painting something that was going to be handled a lot I might use either a multi-surface paint or an enamel.



To make it a lot easier to handle the small parts I used some super glue and temporarily attached the small pieces that I wanted to really detail to some craft sticks. It was easy to pop them off when I was ready to assemble but held well for painting. As a bonus it made keeping track of those tiny pieces much easier. Just be sure the super glue is dry before you paint.


I used two colors for the base coat on the pieces- white and black. For the door and the main part of the cook-top I used multiple coats until it looked smooth. For the control panels I used a bushed steel paint until it was smooth and well covered. I then added details with the white and black paints. For the oven door handle I added some of the steel color to the parts that attach it to the door, I love little details like this even though no one will probably notice in the finished dollhouse. I know its there and that is what is important.


Once the paints were dry I glued the two main pieces to the oven door together. I am using E6000 today for most of the gluing.


The next step was to seal all the painted surfaces with the various Mod Podge varieties I had on hand. You can of course just use one finish for all of the pieces (I would suggest gluing everything together first if you are going just use one finish) Using multiple finishes is a bit extra I know but I like the effect I got. I wanted some parts to look like shiny new metal, I wanted some parts look like digital read-outs and I wanted some to look more textured and not shiny. It was a bit more work but I like how it came out and it was worth it to me.

 

 



Once all the finishes were dry it was time to finish gluing the parts together. I did use a couple of drops of super-glue to add in the assembly of some of the tiny parts.


I love how these look and they are going to be stunning when the kitchen is completed.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment