Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

How I Made the Cubes for Displaying Mini Architecture Samples

 

Watch the video here.



After the video for the Exterior Dollhouse Flooring Cube went up on YouTube I did get several requests to show how I make the cubes. It seems several of you want to play along and have these reference cubes on hand also. So today I am making another cube and taking you all along on the way.



 

You won’t need a lot of materials to make these just some foam core, glue, round toothpicks and some lightweight paper. Of course you will also need to the tools to cut those items safely. Even though these are only made from foam core they are surprisingly sturdy especially once they are covered with the samples.


 

I did have another idea that I might do with some of these cubes in the future also. I got to thinking that in addition to having cubes that each have a different part of the dollhouse on them (like a roof cube, a siding cube, etc) it would be really cool to do some that represented different types of architecture. For instance I love Art Deco but I have no desire to do an entire dollhouse in that style but to do a cube with each of the 6 sides showing different examples of the details that are synonymous
with the Art Deco style would be really fun. This might be a good way to explore styles of architecture that you want to learn about.


To create the cube the same size as the one I am using you will need to have 4 pieces of foam core cut 4 ½” square and 2 cut at least 4 ¾” square. I had planned to cut mine at 5” but somehow cut them at 6” I’m going to blame it on too many interruptions the day I was prepping for the video. LOL


You will need to cut round toothpicks in half (just close to half don’t worry about measuring) These will be inserted into the glued areas to reinforce the joint. For something the size of this cube I use 2 half toothpicks per side.



Construction is pretty simple just add the toothpick pieces to one edge of each square of foam core then add glue to the opposite edge as shown in the video. Once all 4 of the squares are together carefully push all the toothpicks all the way in. if you can’t get them all the way in you can trim them if you need to. Be careful not to run one into a fingertip though.



 

Once the 4 sides are together and the toothpicks pushed in add the two larger pieces gluing and adding toothpicks as before trimming to size if needed. Allow the glue to dry at least long enough to hold the cube together. The dryer the glue is the better.



Since my foam core is black I am using some thin black paper that I have in my stash. Cut strips that are about 4 ¾” long and 1” wide. You will need a total of 12 strips of paper this size for the cube the size I am making.


 


The paper strips are to cover up the edges of the cube and give it a more finished look. This not only makes it look better it also helps to make sure that the edges are going to be nice and strong. Do you best to get the edge centered on the strips and use enough glue to make sure everything holds nicely. I do like to use something like a craft stick to smooth down the paper and make sure it is firmly adhered.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment