Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Christmas Gnome

 

Watch the video here.



I have another free pattern for you to download so you make the project. You can find the file here. In the download there are 3 files: a PDF for hand-cutting of the pieces, a PNG to use with your electronic cutting machine and a text file with handy hints and tips (and the sizing information) to use the PNG.



As with most of these projects I cut all the pieces from medium weight white card-stock, the kind used to make cards and such. This is way more economical than having to purchase a bunch of colors and in my experience the paint colors are a lot more stable than the paper colors. I rarely get noticeable fading with the painted projects.


 

You are free to use the pattern as many times as you wish and even to sell the finished project. But, please don’t give away or sell my patterns. I spend a lot of time creating them and the only compensation I get is from people watching the videos and checking out the blog post. I really want to keep offering these for free so please if someone else wants to make one send them to the video and blog so they can get their own copy of the pattern.



 

As always the first step is to glue the units together, this time there are a few variations in the number of layers in each unit and I went over that in the video when I showed where each piece was on the mat. Here is a photo of the glued units so you can see what they should look like and how many of each you should have.


Once the glue is dry we need to paint the units, I find this to be much easier if I first lay down some tape sticky side up and group the pieces together by the color they will be painted. (all the ones that will be white together, all the ones that will be red together in a different place, etc) I have found that the glue needs to be really dry before I place these pieces on the tape or the back layer will stick really badly to the tape and tear. I sometimes get a little tearing even when they are dry but not as much.



 

Now for the colors I used. The beard, hat brim, and pom-pom for the hat were painted white. Then I used a bit of black to add some streaks to the beard.


 

 


The shoes were painted black.


 

 

 


 

 

The gift box was painted green and the top to the box with yellow.


 


 

The nose and hands get a coat flesh color which I am still having to mix from a pale yellow with just a touch of a very pale yellow.


 

 


 

 

And lastly I painted the base, hat, ribbon, and bow with a red paint.



Make sure the paint is all dry before you go onto the next step which is to start gluing the units together.



I like to start by adding the beard to the base piece trying to center the beard side to side and the tip of the beard no lower than the straight bottom edge of the base (body) piece. Add the shoes again lining them up with the bottom edge. Adjust the pieces so they are where you want them and allow this step to dry at least enough that they won’t move when we are working on the next steps. I did need to add a small weight to keep the tip of the beard down since it wanted to curl up a bit at the bottom.


 


 

Next we add the hat to the gnome along with his nose. I also added he hat band and the pom-pom the to tip of the hat at this step. This was also a good time to assemble the gift box that the gnome will be holding. Simply glue the lid to the top, the ribbon the center and the bow to the top. Allow these to dry at least enough that they will not slip around in the next step.



 

 

Now we add the gift box to the front of the gnome and his hands to hold the gift box. You can angle the hands however you want to make your gnome the way you want. Now we need to make sure all the glue has dried clear before going on to the next step.


 

 


 

 

For the last step we will be giving the gnome a clear finish coat. I am using Satin Mod Podge, in an even thin coat all over the front and edges of the gnome. Once this has dried I give the back of the gnome a thin coat of the same finish.


 

 


 

 

Once the finish is dry our gnome is ready to join the other Christmas items on the front porch of the dollhouse.



 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love your projects you are so talented, I make things for my 18 inch dolls is there a way I can modify your patterns to work for my dolls this is for me not to sell
    thank you
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy I am so happy you are enjoying the projects! For the things like the gnomes it would depend on if you are using the PDF to hand cut or if you are cutting with an electronic cutting machine (like a Cricut). For the Cricut you can just set the size of the image on the project page at twice the amount I specify in the text document. For the PDF I am not sure.

      Are you familiar with my 18" doll blog/channel? I have not been active over there in a while but I am hoping to get back into the grove of things and start posting there regularly after the holidays. The link to all my different blogs is at the top of each of my blog posts. If people are interested I would love to share some of the gnomes in the larger scale also in the future.

      Joanne

      Delete