Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Pumpkin Sign

 

Watch the video here.



I have another free pattern for you to download so you make the project. You can find the file here. In the download there are 3 files: a PDF for hand-cutting of the pieces, a PNG to use with your electronic cutting machine and a text file with handy hints and tips (and the sizing information) to use the PNG.


As with most of these projects I cut all the pieces from medium weight white card-stock, the kind used to make cards and such. This is way more economical than having to purchase a bunch of colors and in my experience the paint colors are a lot more stable than the paper colors. I rarely get noticeable fading with the painted projects.


You are free to use the pattern as many times as you wish and even to sell the finished project. But, please don’t give away or sell my patterns. I spend a lot of time creating them and the only compensation I get is from people watching the videos and checking out the blog post. I really want to keep offering these for free so please if someone else wants to make one send them to the video and blog so they can get their own copy of the pattern.




 

This time there are only 2 shapes to the pattern with a total of 6 pieces to cut. I wanted to have a super simple project this time because I wanted to spend more time on the painting of the sign than the assembly.


 

 


Like always I am using a fairly thick tacky glue in a very thin layer to put mine together. After the pieces are glued I did put a weight on them until they were partly dry to help them stay flat. You do want to make sure these pieces are dry before moving on to the next step.


Once the glue is dry we can do just the first coat of paint. I wanted a good base layer of paint but I also wanted to do a fun paint technique on the finished pumpkin and this was the easiest way I could think of to do what I wanted.



For the stem I wanted a lightish brown but I don’t have the color I wanted so I mixed together some of the dark brown I have with some white to get the color I was after. I used this just on the stem of the back piece of the sign. I then used a pumpkin color paint to paint just the edges/sides of the back piece and entire front and sides of the other piece. Allow this paint to dry all the way.



Now we get to assemble the pumpkin, this is a really easy project since there are only the 2 pieces. If you missed any spots with the orange paint on the edge of the front piece be sure to position those spots so they will be easy to cover with the second coat of paint. Use the same glue as you did earlier and allow the sign to dry.


 


I wanted to add some detail to the stem so I added some thin lines with the dark brown paint using a round toothpick. This allowed me to get really thin lines. I wasn’t after perfection here, I just wanted to add a few lines so the stem got a bit of character and no longer looked so flat. Allow this paint to dry long enough that it won’t smear when you are handling the pumpkin.



Now for the fun part of this project. Start by painting the edge of the pumpkin part of the sign with the same color you used before. Make sure the edges are coated then place the sign back on the tape on your work surface so it stays in place. Add a slightly thicker second coat of the same color of orange the front of the pumpkin. And immediately add some thin lines of a slightly darker orange to look like the curves of a real pumpkin. Blend these lines a little or a lot (or not at all it’s up to you). Now again immediately add some yellow highlights between the dark orange lines. And blend these really well. Because we are working on the layer of orange paint everything should blend nicely and give the impression of highlights and shadows making the pumpkin look like it has a bit of shape.


Once the paint dries give your sign a coat of Satin Mod Podge on both the front and back sides (make sure to get those edges also) and allow to dry completely.


If you want to add more to your sign this would be the time. You could add a phrase like Happy Halloween, or a Jack-o-lantern face to the sign. If you do be sure to seal it with another coat of Satin Mod Podge.



 

 

Once completely dry you sign is ready to display in you mini scene.




 

 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment