Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Lemon Slice Sign

 Watch the video here.




I have another free pattern for you to download so you make the project. You can find the file here. In the download there are 3 files: a PDF for hand-cutting of the pieces, a PNG to use with your electronic cutting machine and a text file with handy hints and tips (and the sizing information) to use the PNG.


As with most of these projects I cut all the pieces from medium weight white card-stock, the kind used to make cards and such. This is way more economical than having to purchase a bunch of colors and in my experience the paint colors are a lot more stable than the paper colors. I rarely get noticeable fading with the painted projects.


You are free to use the pattern as many times as you wish and even to sell the finished project. But, please don’t give away or sell my patterns. I spend a lot of time creating them and the only compensation I get is from people watching the videos and checking out the blog post. I really want to keep offering these for free so please if someone else wants to make one send them to the video and blog so they can get their own copy of the pattern.


I love how this lemon slice sign turned out, lemons just scream summer and I absolutely love lemons combined with a bright blue. I took inspiration from several real life signs I found online and this is a combination of the parts I loved the most. I hope you enjoy the project.



We start with the cut pieces, I do recommend no matter how you cut yours keep them in the groups they are on the pattern. This will make your life so much easier. This time there are 4 of the back board pieces and then just 2 of each unit to be glued together. Do be careful to keep the 2 round pieces straight they are two different sizes. Also you want to end up with 8 of the lemon segment units (2 layers in each) To glue I use a thick tacky glue in a thin layer. Do your best to line up all the pieces to make nice neat units. Allow the glue to dry completely before you go onto the next step.



Once your glue dries sort the pieces by the color you will be using to paint them. I like to attach all the pieces to a bit of tape that is taped sticky side up on my work tile. This keeps everything in place so I can get everything painted. Do note if you cheat on letting the glue dry the paper might stick really badly and tear when you go to remove it later.



 

 

 

I used only a few colors this time. A bright blue for the backer board, a bright yellow for the larger round and the segments, a white for the smaller round, a cream color for the back parts of the banner, then the cream mixed with white for the front piece of the banner. Allow the paint to dry.




 

 

The first step of assembly is to add the yellow segments to the white round. I like to work with 4 segments at a time, lining them up like this. Then allow the glue to set so they will stay in place.


 

 

 


 

 

 

Next add the other 4 segments like this and allow to dry.


 

 

 


 

 

This is a good time to give the front piece of the banner a quick coat of mat Mod Podge. This will act as a bit of an insurance policy when we add the lettering later. It is much easier to remove both pencil and paint from a sealed surface than from just the painted surface. Allow to dry.


 

 

 


 

 

 

Add the white round with the segments to the yellow round centering as best as you can. Allow to dry enough that it won’t move around on you.


 

 


 

 

 

Now add the lemon slice to the blue background, again centering it as best as you can. Allow to dry.


 

 

 


By now the mat Mod Podge should be dry so it is time to add whatever word you want to the front of the banner. I chose hello because I liked how it looked. I like to use pencil first before I add the paint. Then I used the smallest dotting tool I have to do the lettering with the same blue paint I used for the back board. This tied the piece together and again I just love blue with the lemons. Allow this paint to completely dry before you move on to the next step. I waited overnight to be extra sure it would be dry. I didn’t want to take a chance on smearing those letters.



Once the lettering dries add the tips to the banner, I like to add one slightly above and the other one slightly below the front like this.



 

 

One the glue sets add the banner to the front of your lemon slice at whatever angle you like best. Allow the glue to dry.


 

 


 

 

Once the glue dries it is time to add a thin, even layer of Satin Mod Podge and allow it to dry. I do coat both the front and back of my signs allowing the first side to fry before I coat the reverse side.


Once dry you can display your sign in your mini scene. And along with the rest of the lemon items we have made I think this sign looks wonderful.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment