Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Lemon Gnome

 

Watch the video here.



Today I have another gnome to add to our growing collection, this time one to go with our lemon decorating theme we started last year.


I created a free pattern for you to download so you make the project easily. You can find the file here. In the download there are 3 files: a PDF for hand-cutting of the pieces, a PNG to use with your electronic cutting machine and a text file with handy hints and tips (and the sizing information) to use the PNG.


As with most of these projects I cut all the pieces from medium weight white card-stock, the kind used to make cards and such. This is way more economical than having to purchase a bunch of colors and in my experience the paint colors are a lot more stable than the paper colors. I rarely get noticeable fading with the painted projects.


You are free to use the pattern as many times as you wish and even to sell the finished project. But, please don’t give away or sell my patterns. I spend a lot of time creating them and the only compensation I get is from people watching the videos and checking out the blog post. I really want to keep offering these for free so please if someone else wants to make one send them to the video and blog so they can get their own copy of the pattern.



 

 

Here is a look at the pieces before I removed them from my cutting mat so you can see how they are organized. In the video I went over what each piece was while it was still on the mat in hopes you can identify them easier.


 

 

I did leave off the pieces to create a stand on this one since there were so many pieces and that would have made the size of the overall pattern a larger than I wanted. I don’t know if you have noticed but for the mini projects I am trying my best to keep them under 6” in width so if you only have a Cricut Joy I think you will be able to use that to cut the projects.


I did fix the pattern pieces for the lemon our friend is holding, I made both the round layers a bit bigger on the finished pattern so that you will have both more of the white layer and the more of the yellow layer showing than I did.



We start by gluing the groups of pieces together. Most of the groups are sets of three except the backing piece has 4 layers so that our gnomes will be nice and durable. Also the segments of the lemon slice are in sets of 2, so there are 16 total to glue into 8 segments.


I like to use a thick tacky glue for the construction of these projects apply as thin of a layer as possible.


Once the glue dries it is time to paint our pieces.



 

 

For this project I used these colors in addition to a flesh color hat I mixed (I really need to get to the craft store soon)


 

 


I do recommend taping the pieced down to paint them. I am using some wash tape again this week because I still have not been able to remember I need masking tape while I am out in a place to purchase. I only remember I am out when I am reaching for it…..



I like to group my pieces by the color I am going to use to paint them, all the green pieces in one place, the yellow in another etc. this just helps to keep me more organized.


Allow the paint to dry and then it is time start gluing our gnome friend together. I like to do this in stages so pieces don’t shift on me.



 

I started by gluing on the beard to the body piece. Just center it side to side and have the tip either lined up with the flat bottom edge or a hair above this point. I also glued the white disk to the yellow one. This was when I discovered the two pieces were a bit too close in size, I had wanted the yellow to show just a bit more. I did fix that on the final pattern so yours will show more.


 

Allow the glue to dry at least a bit before you move to the next step. If you move too fast things can slip out of position but you don’t need to wait for the glue to dry completely to move on.



 

 

 

Next we can glue the on the hat, it’s designed to overlap the beard a bit. Also add the segments to the lemon slice.


 

 

 


 

 

 

Once the glue on those pieces is set up add the nose, the shoes, and the lemon to the gnome. Normally I add the shoes way earlier but I somehow managed to miss painting them so they had to wait until they dried to go on the gnome.


 

 

 


 

 

 

Lastly add the hands to the front of the lemon slice to “hold it: and add the band to the bottom of the hat. Now all the glue needs to dry completely before the next step.


 

 

 


 

 

 

Once the glue is dry give the gnome a coat of a satin clear finish, I used Mod Podge. Allow this to dry, I do like to coat the front then when that dries I give the back a coat also.


 

 

 


 

 

Once the clear finish is dry it is time to place your gnome in your mini scene. I love how this little guy looks with the pieces we made last year.



 

 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment