Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Metallic Paint Test

 

Watch the video here.

 


I thought I would do something a bit different this week for our midweek video, a paint test. Specifically I wanted to see what if any difference there is by using different colors under metallic paint.


I remember years ago an art teacher telling me to use different colors under my metallic paints to make them warmer/cooler and to help them to blend into whatever project I was using them on. I got to wondering the other day if it really makes a difference or was this just something that we were told.


So the first question you might have is why use another color under the metallic paint? Well, I do for a couple of reasons, first to do just what we are testing today. But also because a lot of metallic paints are at least somewhat translucent so they require multiple coats and in many brands the metallic colors are much more expensive than the other colors. (not sure if that is true of all brands or only a few)



To set this test up I got out the metallic craft paints I have in my paint collection. I have two of the Brushed Metals by FolkArt the silver and the gold. The other two are Ceramcoat 14K Gold and DecoArt’s Dazzling Metallics in Shimmering Silver. This gives me two each of silver and gold and they are slightly different in color and transparency.



I also chose a range of basic colors of paints to use under the metallic. A red, blue, yellow ocher, dark gray, green, white and black. I also decided to use two base materials to test on a sheet of white card-stock and some wood craft sticks. I felt these are the two surfaces I paint the most so they would be good to test on. I also wanted to see if I got the same results on both surfaces or not.



To prep for the test the laid down bands of the colors to go under the metallics on each surface. I allowed these to dry completely (overnight) because I didn’t want to take any chances the paints would mix with the metallic and change the color that way. That would be a completely different test.




Next I added the bands of the metallic colors over the dry colors. I had thought about adding a second coat but decided against it, I want to see how this looks with just one coat of the metallic.


Once dry it was time to evaluate the test results. I do see a difference and I think that the colors do just what I have been taught to believe. Some colors work better with the silver and some with the gold. I am for the richest color I think the warm yellow ocher under the gold is the best choice and the gray under the silver does the same for that color. The black under all the metallics gave and older, aged appearance.


I do recommend you do the test yourself to see what the colors in your stash do and how they affect the metallic paints you have. I am going to keep the test pieces in the bin with my paints so I can refer to it whenever I am going to be using the metallic paints in future projects.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment