Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Cactus Yard Sculpture

 

Watch the video here.




I had decided that I wanted to do some kind of cactus themed art for the dollhouse for today’s tutorial so as I normally do I did a Google image search of what is out available for real size homes. I ran across a lot of really cool pieces that would have been a lot of fun to make (I might just have to make some more of them at a later time) I fell in love with this little piece and found several variations from different places. I especially like the version I made today with the light green paint with some blue on the edges. It just made me so happy to look at it I just knew the dolls in the dollhouse would have to have at least one to place somewhere around the house.



This is another project I have created a pattern for you to use so you can one easily. You can get the free pattern by following this link. You will find both a PDF version to hand cut and a PNG version that can be used with your electronic cutting machine. Be sure to check the text file for sizing information and other helpful hints.


I designed this project to me cut from medium weight white card-stock then painted to the colors you wish. I prefer to use white card=stock and paint the projects since I have had better luck with the painted surfaces not fading as much as the colored card-stock tends to. Also the paint helps to hide the layers of card-stock making it look more like the real thing.



This pattern is really simple there are only 4 pieces and only two of each of those pieces. I played around with different numbers of layers and this is what I found looked the best for this project.



 

 

 

Once you have the pieces cut out it is really simple to glue the pieces together with their matching pieces. For the flowers be sure to offset the petals. You should have 4 sets of glued pieces that look like this. Allow the glue to dry until it is set up.


 

 


 

 

Now we just need to put the 3 parts of the cactus together and make sure the pieces are sitting evenly spaced. Add some glue to hold them in place.


 

 

 

Use a tool like a dotting tool or a paint brush handle to cup the flower. I like to lay the flower piece on a soft surface and use the ball tool to press it until it cups up.




 

When you are ready to paint I find it easiest to use some tape to attach the pieces to a craft-stick so they are easier to hold. I wanted my cactus to be a light green but I didn’t have any paint the color I wanted so I mixed some bright green with white. For the flower I used my favorite fuchsia color. Allow the paint to dry.



 

 

The real life sculpture I was inspired by had a blue edge on the cactus so I added that to my mini one also.


Remember you can paint your sculpture any colors you wish.


 

 


 

 

Allow the paint to dry. Then use some glue to attach the flower to the top of the cactus. Allow the glue to dry.


 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

All that is needed now is to finish yup with a coat of Satin Mod Podge.


 

 

 


 

 

 

 

I love how cute this sculpture looks on the porch.



 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment