Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, July 11, 2021

Dollar Tree Furniture Flip-Dresser

 


Watch the video here.

 

 



This week we are taking a short break from the Beachside Bungalow and doing another flip of a piece of Dollar Tree Dollhouse furniture. I had been thinking that I wanted to move these furniture flips to Sundays instead of having them on Tuesday because they tend to run a bit longer than I want the Tuesday videos to. Then I got to a road block on the next video in the dollhouse building series, I ran out of wallpaper paste and my replacement took longer than expected to arrive. So a furniture flip it will be this week.


I am starting out with one of the tall dressers that Dollar Tree carries in their dollhouse furniture line. 

 

 

 

This one is surprisingly well sized for the dollhouse. As you can see in this picture. While I love the size and general shape, I am not crazy about the overall style of this piece. It looks very dated and is just not right for the vibe I am going for in this house. As you will see this is any easy change though.



I took my inspiration from a couple of dressers I had found while doing a search online as well as one I remember seeing some time ago at a craft fair.


The first step was to take the dresser apart. I was a little nervous about this after the bed last time. However, this piece like most of the Dollar Tree pieces came apart really easily. Just a quick shot of heat from my heat gun and the glue softened enough to pull it apart. I was able to disassemble it even further than I had hoped. Being able to remove the “drawers” made painting a lot easier and neater.


After removing the fake knobs I was left with some rather large holes to fill with spackle but that is a really easy task. A bit of filling and sanding and the piece was ready to paint.



I worked on the panel that represents the drawers first since that really is the focal point of the piece. I gave a base coat of the same light blue paint I have been using for a lot of the recent projects, (Slate Blue by Anita's) This was followed by a second coat of the same color then swiped with both the dark blue (Admiral Blue by Apple Barrel) and cream (Vanilla Cream by Anita's). 

 

The idea was to give a very abstract look of water. I think it turned out really well.



I then gathered up some odds and ends to use in the project. First some beads to use as the new feet of the dresser. These are wooden ones that are about ½” long. I have had them in my stash for so many years I have no idea where I got them. Use whatever beads you have, wood would be best but any type that can be painted will work. 

 

I also grabbed a handful of round toothpicks from the kitchen. I painted all of these as well as the top of the dresser with the same dark blue. I did paint more toothpicks and more beads than I needed so I could choose the best ones to use when I put everything back together.


For the case of the dresser I decided to mix the cream paint with some white to lighten it up a bit. I didn't want a stark white but I also didn't want a dark cream, I wanted something in between.


After all the paint was dry it was time to glue all the parts back together. This was a really easy task. Just take your time and let each step dry before you move onto the next. And be careful to line all the parts up.For the drawer pulls I cut the toothpicks to size (½” for the long drawers and about ¼” for the small ones) with my easy cutter. I did touch up the paint on the cut ends then when that was dry I glued the pulls into the centers of each drawer.


After all the glue was dry a quick coat of Satin Mod Podge was applied to the entire surface and once dry it is ready to place.


I love how this turned out and can't wait to be able to put it in the house. 

 

 




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment