Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Building the Beachside Bungalow part 19

 

Watch the video here.

 



This week my fresh jar of wallpaper paste got here so we can progress with applying the wallpaper to all the walls of the dollhouse. We are only doing the walls on the lower floor this week. We will move on to the top floor next time.


This is not really a hard job just a bit tedious and fiddly.


We still have the paper taped around the perimeter of the floors so that is a step that we don't have to worry about.




Probably the most difficult part of this week's video was decided which wallpaper I was going to use where. I finally settled on the white paper with the blue sail boats for the accent wall on the end where the kitchen will be. The rest of the walls on this floor will be the same white art paper we used on all the ceilings. I want the look of painted drywall for the most part on this level of the house with just the accent wall. We will use more of the patterned papers on the upper floor.


I am starting with the end walls and I wrap the paper around the corner just a bit. This will help to insure we won't have a gap at the corner. The paper needs to be cut to fit the wall floor to ceiling and have just about ¼” extra on the width to accommodate that wrap around to the back wall. Be sure to dry fit and get the size correct before you add your wallpaper paste.


Once you are sure you have the paper the correct size apply a coat of your wallpaper paste to both the back of the paper and the wall that you are covering. Try to be as neat as possible and not get any paste on the right side of any of the papers.



Once the paste is spread carefully apply the paper to the wall. Be extra careful if your paper has a one way design like the sail boats. We don't want any sailboats sailing upside down.


The paper will be very fragile once you get the paste on it so be very careful not to tear it.


Because we added the paste to both surfaces the paper will be able to slide a bit to get it placed correctly.


Once you have the paper where you want it you will need to use a flat object to work any bubbles and excess paste out from under the paper.


Now allow this wall to dry completely before you try to work on the wall next to it. Off camera at this point I also added the plain white paper to the wall at the opposite end of the dollhouse.


Once the paper on the side walls were dry I went on to the last wall. I did have to leave mine for several days since I ran out of paste just as I finished the two end walls.


The last wall is done exactly the same except it is cut to the exact size of the wall with no fold over at any of the edges. Don't cut out the holes for the door or window, we will do that later. When working the bubbles and extra paste out work them towards the openings for the door and window. 

 



Once this paper is completely dry we will need to cut out the openings for the door and window. This is easily done with a sharp knife. Be careful but it doesn't have to be perfect since the edges will be covered by trim later.


There are several reasons for not cutting the openings before putting the paper on the wall. The two most important are it is just plain easier to do it this way (less edges to line up) and the paper is already very fragile. Cutting large holes in it would make it even more fargile so the risk of tearing would be much higher.


Next time we will paper the walls in the bedroom on the upper level. Because of the tight space I will paper the bathroom off camera. I really don't see a way to get the camera where you would be able to see anything while I work on that room.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment