Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Indecision

 


Watch the video here.

 




So this week is a bit of a different video, I had something I felt I needed to talk with all of you about so I took this as the opportunity to do so.


I knew this point would come around eventually but I just wasn't sure when it would happen.


The video I posted on Sunday was not the one I had planned to post, I planned to do at least 3 more videos before I worked on the kitchen sink kit. The video I was planning to have for you on Sunday was prepping the base cabinets for painting. I had planned to glue the cabinets together into groups based on where in the kitchen layout they were going to be. I was also going to add the back to the cabinets that will form the eating bar. Those will need the open back closed off since they are going to not be along a wall. I had everything ready to do just that video. Then I couldn't come up with a plan for how I wanted the cabinets grouped. I kept moving them around. I knew if I just plowed on ahead I would be very upset with myself later.


I thought I had a pretty good plan for how I wanted to organize the kitchen right up until the moment when I was going to make it permanent. Then I kept changing my mind. I just couldn't go through with gluing anything together. I don't think I have ever been this indecisive in my life.


I thought I would step away for a day and it would be fine and I would move forward. The next day it was worse.


I then got curious about how long I have been working on this dollhouse and how many videos I have already filmed on it. From my check on my planner I have been working on the dollhouse for 9 months. 9 months!!!!! I had no idea it had been that long. I know there hasn't been a video every week but I still worked on the dollhouse at least one of each week regardless.


Then I counted the videos. As far as I can see in my list I have filmed 30+ videos on this dollhouse in those 9 months.




So I think this creative block is my brain saying I need to step away from the dollhouse for a short time. Don't worry we will be finishing it. I am really excited to work on it. The thing is while I am not “burnt out” on the project at all I don't want that to become the case. So I am going to not touch the dollhouse at least through the rest of this month and the month of November. I am not sure about December, I might work on it again at that point but I am thinking I am going to try to do some seasonal stuff in December.



I know myself well enough to know I could push through this and just glue the cabinets together. But I also know if I do push myself I risk getting burnt out and not wanting to continue.



For me this creative block is a sign that I need to just take a short step back so that the excitement builds again. By not letting myself work on it for a short time I know I will be really ready to work on it later.




So what are the signs you recognize in yourself that mean you are getting close to burning out? What are your strategies for working past these feelings?





I haven't planned out all the videos for the next several weeks yet but I do have some clay projects planned. And I am hoping to find first some fall and then some Christmas themed projects to do tutorials on.





If you have something specific that you would like to see let me know so I can add it to my list.



 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


1 comment:

  1. Take your time. We all lose some of our muchness sometimes. It will return. Don't worry about your followers. I'm pretty sure we will survive (for now anyway. Lol). I myself have Lots of projects to work on-not just minis and I go in stops and starts. These almost 2 yrs of messing with our lives are def not good for us. Looking forward to when and what you can. :0)

    ReplyDelete