Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Building the Beachside Bungalow part 20

 


Watch the video here.

 

 



This week we are finishing up the wallpapering of the Beachside Bungalow by moving to the upstairs. This level is divided into 2 rooms and since the small one that will become the bathroom is so tiny I did that room completely off-camera. There is just no way I could get the camera positioned in a way that anything could be seen and still be able to work on it.


For this reason we spent our time on the main upstairs room which is ear-marked to be the bedroom. I did stray from my comfort zone on this room and used one of the patterned wallpapers from the set I showed you a while back. I did stick with the very subtle tan/white striped one. Normally I would have done this room also in just the white art paper to replicate painted drywall, or at most I would have normally chosen a sheet of that same paper in a color that would harmonize with the rest of the decor. Am I glad I did, sort of. The bigger question is am I happy with the paper I used and the answer to that question would be a big no. While I had no problems with the other two pieces I used from the set of papers (the accent wall downstairs and the bathroom) this piece proved to be much more fragile. It tore if I looked at it wrong once the paste was applied. It also has some dark areas showing through that I am hoping will fade as the paste dries and cures. I am not sure what caused them but I have never run into them in other builds. I probably will leave the paper on the wall and just decorate over the spots if they remain. if you look closely at this photo you can see the dark spot next to my light.






One of the reasons I chose this paper was the pattern was small enough that I didn't feel the need to match the pattern. All I needed to do was keep the stripes reasonably straight up and down. If I had chosen a pattern with a larger pattern if would have required a lot of matching especially in the dormer where it will be very visible. As it is if I am not happy with those seams I can just add a window treatment that extends to the side walls of the dormer.


The trickiest part of doing the wallpaper is to get the ceiling line straight and I am happy with that so that is good.


The one place that I needed to be really careful was in cutting the excess paper from the opening for the door between the 2 rooms. If you remember I wrapped the tape-wire around the wall in that location. I was very careful to work far away from that tape-wire so I am confident that all is still well on that front.

As with any wallpapering job in a dollhouse I spent the majority of my time creating patterns from scrap paper for the walls to facilitate cutting the paper. I much prefer this method to measuring each area. 

 So here is a look at those patterns so you can get a better idea of what they looked like. 





 





 

Next week I am planning to move onto putting some of the baseboard trim in place as well as the windows and doors.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


1 comment:

  1. I always make templates for wallpaper, especially for odd shaped areas. Measuring doesn’t work well as you have to get all the angles spot on too. That looks like a complex one.

    ReplyDelete