Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Dollhouse Miniature Turkey Gnome

 

Watch the video here.



I have another free pattern for you to download so you make the project. You can find the file here. In the download there are 3 files: a PDF for hand-cutting of the pieces, a PNG to use with your electronic cutting machine and a text file with handy hints and tips (and the sizing information) to use the PNG.


As with most of these projects I cut all the pieces from medium weight white card-stock, the kind used to make cards and such. This is way more economical than having to purchase a bunch of colors and in my experience the paint colors are a lot more stable than the paper colors. I rarely get noticeable fading with the painted projects.


You are free to use the pattern as many times as you wish and even to sell the finished project. But, please don’t give away or sell my patterns. I spend a lot of time creating them and the only compensation I get is from people watching the videos and checking out the blog post. I really want to keep offering these for free so please if someone else wants to make one send them to the video and blog so they can get their own copy of the pattern.



 

I changed up the gnome pattern a bit this month first I gave him some arms to have at his sides instead of just the hands to hold something. Also I made the gnome himself a bit smaller since the tail was so large I felt that him being slightly smaller would be better. Don’t worry the pattern you download has the correct number of arms, I changed the file before I even started gluing so I wouldn’t forget.



For the gluing process I prefer to use a thick tacky glue since that is what I have the best luck with. Glue the pieces into the units shown in the picture remember I went over the what all the pieces were at the beginning of the video. These are the units after being glued so you can see what you should have at this point. I do like to put a flat weight on top of the pieces as they start to dry to help them remain flat. I find I have to remove it for the finial bit of drying though, just be sure the card-stock is completely dry before moving to the next step.



 

 

Once that glue is dry it is time to lay out some tape to hold the pieces still while we paint them. I do try my best to sort the pieces by the color of paint to make painting more efficient.


 


 

 

The beard is painted white with a touch of black.


 


 

 

The hat and 2 shoes are painted with black.


 

 


 

 

The wattle is painted red.


 

 


 

 

The arms and nose are painted with flesh, which I am still mixing from a pale yellow and pale pink.


 


 

 

The sleeves and body are painted a dark brown.


 


 

And finally the feather piece is painted with an orange, a yellow and the red.


 

Allow the paint to dry and do any touch-ups that are needed. Be especially careful that the edges of the pieces are covered in paint.



 

 Once the paint is dry it is time to glue the sleeves to the arms. Line them up at the tops and the sides and make you you have both a left and a right arm. Allow the glue to dry.


 


 

Once that glue dries do a quick painting of the edges of the sleeve area with the same dark brown paint and allow to dry.


 

 


Now we get to start the real assembly of our little gnome friend. Like always I started with the beard. Be sure it is centered side to side on the gnome’s body and that the tip of the beard is no lower than the bottom edge of the body piece. You could opt to place yours a bit higher on the gnome if you wish. I like to add the shoes at the same time with the straight edge of each shoe lined up with the bottom of the gnome. I like to add them now just in case the beard needs to be adjusted a tit. This glue needs to set up enough that the pieces will stay in place when we put on the next pieces.



 

Next up for gluing we need to add the hat and then the nose and the wattle to the gnome. Again I like to add the hat and nose at the same step just in case I need to adjust the hat to get the nose where I want it. This is also when we add the tiny wattle just to side of his nose. I decided to add the arms now also you can place the arms wherever they look best to you. Allow the glue to set up enough that nothing will move when we attach the tail.




 

The last piece to add to the gnome is the tail. You can put the tail as high up on the gnome as you desire. Just make sure the bottom feathers are higher than the bottom of the gnome so he will still stank up okay. Now the glue needs to dry completely before we go to the next step.



 

 

Once you are sure the glue is dry give both the front and back a coat of a clear sealer, I used Satin Mod Podge. Be sure to coat the edges of the piece with both coats to really seal the edges of the layers. Allow to dry.


 

 


 

 

Now your gnome is ready to take his place in your fall decor. I love how he turned out and he looks right at home with the fall decorations from past tutorials.



 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment