Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Building the Beachside Bungalow part 14

 


Watch the video here.




This week we are finishing up the roof on the dollhouse build. I have never been so happy to have a job finished as I am with this one. The roof on a dollhouse always seems to take forever, especially one that is covered in the individual wood shingles. I have done several of these over the years and I hope I gave you some hints to help yours go as smoothly as possible. They really aren't difficult they just take so much time.


Every time I do a wood shingle roof I am reminded of why I don't like them. Usually I make a faux asphalt shingle roof from coarse grade sandpaper for my dollhouses. I really prefer the look on most structures but I have done that on the channel a few times. That was why I decided to go with the shingles provided in the kit for this series.


The first thing I cover in the video is trimming the edges of the shingles at the valley areas of the roof to neaten them up. It was very difficult to get that filmed because of the shape of the house so hopefully you understood what I was doing. It is pretty simple.





The other portion of the video is applying the ridge cap on the roof. There are several ways to do this. I chose to do a variation on what I normally do. I just used shingles horizontally and overlapping at the top of the roof. Normally I cut the shingles lengthwise and use half a width of shingle but when I tried that off-camera it just didn't look right. I think the length of the shingles coupled with the angle of the roof pitch made it look way too small. When I tried using whole shingles in place of half ones I liked the look much better.


The last item on my to-do list this week was to finish off the flashing both under the dormer and at the base of the chimney. I only show the dormer area on camera but they are done the same way. I simply added a strip of paper cut at ⅛” wide to the base of the shingles where they meet the wall. Combined with the strip we added a couple of weeks ago this makes it look a bit more finished.



The only thing left to do on the roof is to add the edge trim. I decided to not do that this week for two main reasons. Number one, frankly I am tried of working on the roof. And second, I am not totally sure I am going to use the wood pieces provided in the kit for this step. So I feel it is better to wait a while and do that later on.


Next week we will be moving inside to get prepared to stare putting in the tape wire system for the lights.



As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment