Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, May 9, 2021

Building the Beachside Bungalow part 13

 

Watch the video here.

 

 



This week we are continuing the work on the roof of the dollhouse. I was really hoping that this would be the last video on the roof but we will be continuing on with a few more roof steps next week.


I was on the phone with my daughter a couple of days ago and she asked me what I was doing that day. When I told her I was working on the dollhouse roof she replied with the observation that a dollhouse roof takes longer than a roof on a real house. I think she might be right. LOL At least on a real house you don't have to stain all the shingles individually and usually there is a team of guys to help put it on the house... Oh, well I am almost done at this point just a few finishing touches.


So we placed the shingles on the main part of the roof as well as the dormer this week. It wasn't until I was completely finished that I noticed that the roof on each side of the dormer doesn't match!! Not sure what I did to mess that up but I will figure out a way to disguise it later. I am not about to tear all that roof off and fix it.


We did need to do some cutting of shingles around the dormer and its roof. I showed a few options for you to try on your builds. There are probably more ways to do this but these are what came to me as I was working on it. Just be sure no matter how you do this step that you dry fit the shingles before you glue them to the structure.


As far as minor mistakes or areas that we don't like when we get to the decorating phase of the project I have a couple of fun ideas to show you that will conceal them and be fun too.


While planning this roof portion of the project I got to thinking about some houses my mom and I used to drive by when I was a little girl. It was a short row of those fancy Victorian homes in the style of the painted ladies in San Francisco, you know the ones I mean the line of skinny row houses. I was absolutely in love with these houses and looked at them every time we drove by. Anyway these were in a not so nice part of town and on our way to shop at one of the big stores my mom liked to visit. When I was about 4 we had a really bad windstorm that did lots of damage around the area. Lots of roofs received really bad damage and these cute little houses were among the victims of the storm. The next time we drove by them after the storm the roofs had been patched with shingles that didn't match the color of the rest of the roof. I am sure the old roofs were very faded and this is why. In my little 4 year old brain I was sure they had did this to decorate the roofs. I was so excited about how pretty they looked. 

 


So I decided to honor that memory and make a patched area on the dormer roof. After all this house in my mind lives on the Oregon coast , on a rise over looking the ocean. The Oregon coast gets a lot of rain and a lot of wind so it would be pretty natural to need to fix the roof. To make the shingles for this “patch” I simply took 7 shingles and gave them a coat of black craft paint. Now I had some “new” shingles that our homeowner could add to the part of the roof that was damaged. I love the way this turns out and it makes me smile and remember how much I loved those houses.


We are so close to the end of the roof part of the house. We will finish up all but the roof edge trim next week. After that we will move inside to work on the wiring.


As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



1 comment: